Inner-duct

Status
Not open for further replies.

Souheil

I have 2 questions:

1. I need the standard or code that confirms that all newly constructed conduits in a project manholes must be fully filled with inner-ducts at the very initial installation stage?

2. These conduits are for fiber optics and CAT6 cabling, i need the standard and code that mandates the separation of cables in these inner-ducts as per their functionality.

Thank you.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
This may be outside the scope of the NEC. If those proect manholes are owned by a utility, the NEC does not apply.
The NEC does have rules on seperation, you don't need us to dig those out for you. Look in Chapter 8

1. I need the standard or code that confirms that all newly constructed conduits in a project manholes must be fully filled with inner-ducts at the very initial installation stage?

I've never seen it in a code requirement, only as a design standard. IME you'd fill the ones you plan to use since adding an innerduct to an occupied conduit is a pain, but there's nothing wrong with leaving conduits completely empty, either.

As I understand, and I'm no expert here, the presence of energized MV/HV cabling could/would make the manhole an energized work zone, so you'd be better off installing as much as cost allows before it's hot. (I'm sure someone will correct me.... :D)

ron

No basically this is for a university under construction

You may be out of luck if it wasn't specified with the requirements you are looking for. Both of the items below are great ideas, but not required by code as the code is a minimum for safety and not a design standard. I'm also not familiar with a standard that would require these either although you could review the BICSI, TIA and IEEE standards, but you wouldn't be able to enforce them without them being contractually called out.

2. These conduits are for fiber optics and CAT6 cabling, i need the standard and code that mandates the separation of cables in these inner-ducts as per their functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.