Infratech 5000 watt heater concern

Roger9

Occupation
Electrican
So I recently installed a 5000 watt infra red heater at a clients house. I have the heater on a 2 pole 30amp because of the continuous load rule etc. I ran #10 gauge from panel to switch, and #10 up to my heater. The home owner supplied a rocker switch that the heater company sells so each element can be controlled individually so you can cut the heat down in half and control the temp. The only problem is the switch says EACH rocker switch is rated only for 20amps, I was skeptical at first and called the heater company and they said it’s fine. Has anyone ever heard of this? Here’s the wiring diagram I followed, only thing I did different was instead of making a jumper on my common side I made a pigtail with 2 #10s and I didn’t tap down to #12 like it says you can. I just feel uneasy hooking up a switch like this on a 30 amp breaker

Attachments

• IMG_5005.png
    IMG_5005.png
    384.9 KB · Views: 27

retirede

The switch controls half of the total load which would be about 10 amps. It’s fine. The breaker is to protect the branch circuit wiring, not the utilization equipment.

Do you have a problem with plugging in a lamp with an 18 gauge cord into a receptacle on a 20A circuit?

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor
Roger9 (OP)

2023 NEC

I think you made a good decision when you did not use the "tap rule" with a 12 AWG conductor.
Although certain conductors may be tapped but you must do so with caution based on certain conditions.

Section 210.19 (D) and Exception No.1 and (3) Individual outlets, other than receptacle outlets, with taps not over 18 inches long.
I think this exception would allow for your installation. It is an outlet as defined by NEC.

And, you knew that it was a continuous load as per 424.1 Scope and 424.4 (A) (B) as you professionally admitted to.

I assume the wiring method was a type NM (romex) so your final ampacity is found in the 60 degree celcius column of T.310.16 and as stated in Section 334.80 Ampacity for Types NM.....etc.

I commend you for your interest in and the safety of making sure all your electrical work is Code compliant to the best of your ability.

I don't know your level of licensing/experience that you maintain but you need to further your electrical experience and set your sight on a masters license and continue on for an electrical contractor. Plan for your future.

We need more young guys and women to think out of the box and take a look at who is building America's electrical infrastructure.
Electrical profession is the best choice of them all!

I wish you the best.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER #4544

Roger9

Occupation
Electrican
The switch controls half of the total load which would be about 10 amps. It’s fine. The breaker is to protect the branch circuit wiring, not the utilization equipment.

Do you have a problem with plugging in a lamp with an 18 gauge cord into a receptacle on a 20A circuit?
haha very true thank you

Roger9

Occupation
Electrican
Roger9 (OP)

2023 NEC

I think you made a good decision when you did not use the "tap rule" with a 12 AWG conductor.
Although certain conductors may be tapped but you must do so with caution based on certain conditions.

Section 210.19 (D) and Exception No.1 and (3) Individual outlets, other than receptacle outlets, with taps not over 18 inches long.
I think this exception would allow for your installation. It is an outlet as defined by NEC.

And, you knew that it was a continuous load as per 424.1 Scope and 424.4 (A) (B) as you professionally admitted to.

I assume the wiring method was a type NM (romex) so your final ampacity is found in the 60 degree celcius column of T.310.16 and as stated in Section 334.80 Ampacity for Types NM.....etc.

I commend you for your interest in and the safety of making sure all your electrical work is Code compliant to the best of your ability.

I don't know your level of licensing/experience that you maintain but you need to further your electrical experience and set your sight on a masters license and continue on for an electrical contractor. Plan for your future.

We need more young guys and women to think out of the box and take a look at who is building America's electrical infrastructure.
Electrical profession is the best choice of them all!

I wish you the best.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER #4544

That makes me feel better about the tapping rule lol. Too be honest I’ve never learned about the “tap rule” until I read the wiring diagram the heater company provided. I read up on the article number provided and kinda understood what I was allowed to do I also called around to some of the guys who taught me but unfortunately they don’t wanna do much teaching these days thats why I’m grateful for this forum and people like you. I was limited on time and had plenty of room in the box I was using so decided to pigtail 2 #10. I will definitely be reading more into the section and article numbers you provided for future installations so thank you for that.

Yes we ran #10 romex up to a j-box in the attic and then switched over to sealtite and #10 thhn to make our connections in the heater.

I appreciate that! I respect the code and electricity. This was my first infra red heater (might be my last since I live in Florida lol) but safety is very important to me and so is peoples homes and lives.

I’ve been doing this for 10 years, 31 years old. Mainly new construction residential and commercial. I actually just started a course with Exam1prep to get my masters. I know I still have a lot to learn tho.

kwired

Electron manager
That makes me feel better about the tapping rule lol. Too be honest I’ve never learned about the “tap rule” until I read the wiring diagram the heater company provided. I read up on the article number provided and kinda understood what I was allowed to do I also called around to some of the guys who taught me but unfortunately they don’t wanna do much teaching these days thats why I’m grateful for this forum and people like you. I was limited on time and had plenty of room in the box I was using so decided to pigtail 2 #10. I will definitely be reading more into the section and article numbers you provided for future installations so thank you for that.

Yes we ran #10 romex up to a j-box in the attic and then switched over to sealtite and #10 thhn to make our connections in the heater.

I appreciate that! I respect the code and electricity. This was my first infra red heater (might be my last since I live in Florida lol) but safety is very important to me and so is peoples homes and lives.

I’ve been doing this for 10 years, 31 years old. Mainly new construction residential and commercial. I actually just started a course with Exam1prep to get my masters. I know I still have a lot to learn tho.
NEC rules don't apply within the appliance. Per what you mentioned this is an accessory provided by manufacturer that is listed/recognized for the purpose and has instructions how to install it.

Most switches like you described that I have encountered were factory installed in the appliance already, but yes often done with smaller gauge conductors than the main supply conductors as none of those individual conductors carry the entire load of the unit.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
?

@240 volts 5 kW is 20.8 amps, 3 kW is 12.5 amps, and 2kW is 8.3 amps

Your values would be for an operating voltage of ~167.
I was and am aware of that. I used "If" intentionally just to use the numbers the OP used.

Roger9

Occupation
Electrican
NEC rules don't apply within the appliance. Per what you mentioned this is an accessory provided by manufacturer that is listed/recognized for the purpose and has instructions how to install it.

Most switches like you described that I have encountered were factory installed in the appliance already, but yes often done with smaller gauge conductors than the main supply conductors as none of those individual conductors carry the entire load of the unit.
Makes sense I appreciate it!

Roger9

Occupation
Electrican
The 2 pole 30 is correct and tapping with #12 to each switch as per the instructions would also be correct. Nothing you should feel uneasy about.
So I would be ok tapping down to #12 for my hots and switch legs? The instructions says to only tap down the common side or input side but we ran #10 for the switch legs as well

Occupation
electrical Code instructor and mentor

2023 NEC
Roger9, hello and happy to assist you based on your question about the tap rule.

First, check out the definition of a Tap Conductor found in Article 100.
Notice, it is not a service conductor. And the following are typically found when you are using conductors that are approximately 8AWG or larger sizes. And the feeder(s) and OCPDs will have larger sizes than 14,12,10 etc or larger AWG sizes.

Section 240.21,Part II location. 240.21 (A),(B),(1)thru (2)(1)-(3).
These are tap rules for feeders. Here you will find taps (1) not over 10 ft, (2) taps not over 25 ft and finally 240.21 (4) taps over 25 ft long.

Notice we skipped over (3)Taps supplying a transformer.........We will not discuss those at this time. They are feeder taps on the secondary side of the transformer. And those Code rules are a little different from the other feeder taps rules.

Check the definition of Feeder Article 100.

If you have an NEC Handbook 2023. You can see a picture of a not over 25 ft feeder tap Exhibit 240.6. [240.21 (B) (2)]

Another feeder tap over 25 ft feeder tap is for as listed 240.21(B), (4) (1) -(9). The image for it is found in Exhibit 240.8, a tap over 25 ft feeder tap, found in high bay MFG building.

Read carefully 240.21 (B) for a simple explanation of why you might need to install feeder tap.
Let me know if you'd like for me to explain any one of the three above examples on another visit here at Code Forum.
To avoid a very lengthy explanation at this time.

Thanks for reading.
Comments accepted.
TX+MASTER#4544