Informing owner of using copper clad aluminum

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
So I have access to copper clad nmb.
Have not used much but what little I have I liked.
I want to wire a house in this. Would you inform owner. Or not worry.
I don’t think it’s is an issue, though I might be thinking with my pocket book.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
How would you approach it if you let’s say fixing a switch leg or adding one.

Would you then say I have this cheaper copper alternative saves you 2 dollars?

I agree with your opinion on my OP
How would this situation be best approach.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
I was wondering about that.
Though do we tell them if a range is copper or aluminum feed. And that is cool

It's not unusual to wire a range with AL, been done for a long time. So, there I wouldn't make an issue of it. However, for ordinary #14 and 12 branch circuits I probably wouldn't even use it. AL wiring has such a bad reputation I really don't want to get into a position where I have to defend CCAL or even mention the word. Just makes me look like I'm trying to pull something like suggesting cheap Chinese sheetrock.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I disagree with the consensus here. In my opinion, it's like informing a customer that you intend to install a breaker panel with aluminum buses. Unless they ask, or if they insist on copper (which one woman recently did, and happily paid the difference), it's basically none of their business, in my opinion.

If selected and installed correctly, the materials chosen shouldn't make any difference in performance. If I can quote a better price with aluminum, I'll do it. On something like an underground feeder, where it can make a greater difference, I will discuss the options, and offer to price the job both ways.

Having said all of this, I'll hold off on using copper-clad wire for a while to see how well it does over time.

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
I disagree with the consensus here. In my opinion, it's like informing a customer that you intend to install a breaker panel with aluminum buses. Unless they ask, or if they insist on copper (which one woman recently did, and happily paid the difference), it's basically none of their business, in my opinion.

If selected and installed correctly, the materials chosen shouldn't make any difference in performance. If I can quote a better price with aluminum, I'll do it. On something like an underground feeder, where it can make a greater difference, I will discuss the options, and offer to price the job both ways.

Having said all of this, I'll hold off on using copper-clad wire for a while to see how well it does over time.
You make a good point. Typically most residential has no spec other than being code compliant but I think that given to novelty of CU clad AL I would be inclined to discuss with the owner.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
You make a good point. Typically most residential has no spec other than being code compliant but I think that given to novelty of CU clad AL I would be inclined to discuss with the owner.
Yes. If it is customary and common, then there is no need -- such as wiring a range or A/C compressor with aluminum. But for something that is not common, it should be discussed. For me, smaller gauge aluminum just doesn't have the repeated bendability and I would never use it just for that reason alone -- now, I don't know if the clad stuff is somehow different.

Buck Parrish

So I have access to copper clad nmb.
Have not used much but what little I have I liked.
I want to wire a house in this. Would you inform owner. Or not worry.
I don’t think it’s is an issue, though I might be thinking with my pocket book.
You can not tell the owner because he or she will say NO WAY !
It always becomes an issue when you try to sale a house with aluminum branch circuit wiring. (How are you going to explain that it's been dipped in copper?)
It's been my experience that most HO's don't know your allowed to use AL any where at all.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I worked on a kitchen remodel several months ago that had CCAL NM from 70s(?)

I never even heard of it until I made a thread about the funny feel of it.

I would say "over time" duration has it performing at least ok.

Tulsa Electrician

Occupation
Electrician
What about the wire nut. Does those cost more and need to be factored in. Would they need to be rated for al/cu
How do you size the conductor. To the ampacity table.
I know that was not the question. Just curious

texie

Occupation
Electrician, Contractor, Inspector
What about the wire nut. Does those cost more and need to be factored in. Would they need to be rated for al/cu
How do you size the conductor. To the ampacity table.
I know that was not the question. Just curious
One of the proponents arguments for copper clad AL is that you can use standard devices, wire nuts, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.