Industrial Motor Control Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

pault587

I am in the process of installing an Allen Bradley Motor Control Center in an automotive plant. I did not order the MCC with a main disconnect, only main lugs. The customer has a breaker feeding the MCC on a different floor. Normally I do not provide main disconnects and it is my understanding that this ok as long as the device feeding the MCC is lockable in the off position even if it is not in sight. I am planning to add the main disconnect but I want to check the code and can't seem to nail this one down. I want to be certain to get this correct for future applications. I can also ask the customer to at least share the cost of the disconnect if it is not in violation.

Thanks in Advance,
Paul Thomas

jgriffin

Re: Industrial Motor Control Center

2002 nec......430.94 ?

[ February 25, 2004, 09:45 AM: Message edited by: jgriffin ]

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Re: Industrial Motor Control Center

The governing item is Art 430.92 which says to follow Art 240.

However, a pre-manufactured motor control center, as opposed to a motor control panel, is a piece of distribution gear not a device. The structure and bussing should follow main disconnect rules/applications similar to any other switchboard or panelboard (i.e. Article 408).

Article 430.102 is only applicable to the individual starters as they are the motor control devices.

Status
Not open for further replies.