Indoor window sill mounted lighting fixture without access

Status
Not open for further replies.

curious101

Hi,

I was searching for references in the NEC, but could not find answers to the situation described below.
Per owner's request for new gas station (with convenience store), the architect wants to install LED strip light fixtures on the surface of the upper window sills. There will be a drywall installed between the windows and the indoor room (continuous drywall along the perimeter wall, from floor to ceiling). The lighting fixtures would be there solely to illumine the black drywall, so from the outside it looks like there is light inside, but people can't see the inside, because there is the drywall between. That being said, there is going to be no access to the lighting fixtures, unless the dry wall gets cut; this would apply for the case if the bulbs of the lighting fixtures need to be replaced. Is this "no-access-to-light fixture" situation NEC compliant?

Thank you!

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd say it's not compliant, and either the top or back wall of the light box should be hinged.

Just had a thought: How are they going to finish the inside and seal it? :unsure:

curious101

I'd say it's not compliant, and either the top or back wall of the light box should be hinged.

Just had a thought: How are they going to finish the inside and seal it? :unsure:
Thank you so much for your response! Do you know which section of the NEC would apply here? I will have to find out about the finish and sealing of the inside....

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I'd have to look, but it's probably in Art. 110.

If they can close it up after finishing it, perhaps it can be opened again.

They could climb out the windows. :giggle:

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
The code reference would be the parent text of 110.26.
Access and working space shall be provided and maintained about all electrical equipment to permit ready and safe operation and maintenance of such equipment.

Status
Not open for further replies.