In-law's house

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
That's pretty sad. How much weight and tension do you think that 1/4" toggle will support? And what if it's only into the siding?

Nope. POCO here wants a 5/8" eye bolt just like out on the pole, through the framing. So if a tree comes down on the drop it will either break the drop or pull the side of the house off.

-Hal

According to this website "a 1/4-inch anchor in a 1 1/2-inch thick wall can take 1,390 pounds." That's the thickness of a 2x4.
https://www.doityourself.com/stry/a-guide-to-weight-limits-for-toggle-bolts

readydave8

re member
Occupation
electrician
one I did today with 3/8 rod

don't know if it will hold wire but it's sure gonna tear up house when it falls

well it won't let me attach image of inside because too large, but threaded runs through 2 x 4 lath that is nailed to top of truss, and thru a piece of 1 1/2 strut house hook 2.jpg

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
one I did today with 3/8 rod

don't know if it will hold wire but it's sure gonna tear up house when it falls

well it won't let me attach image of inside because too large, but threaded runs through 2 x 4 lath that is nailed to top of truss, and thru a piece of 1 1/2 strut View attachment 2552890
That’s actually what we call a ranch knob. It goes on a pipe stack. Did you throw the back away?

Electricmo

Occupation
Lineman
We don’t attach services here anymore on buildings. Mast must be extended above roof line and attachment insulator clamped to mast.

rt66electric

On one particular installation..

Half the tree fell on the line... it pulled out the screwknob..

The other half of the tree was still standing over the newly repaired line.. "Hold my beer while I fix this"

Decided to use unistrut,, lag blots and and machine bolts to hold new service line.

Well...... Next storm a year later.... my point of attachment Held strong ,,, BUT.... pulled the entire garage roof over a few inches.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
On one particular installation..

Half the tree fell on the line... it pulled out the screwknob..

The other half of the tree was still standing over the newly repaired line.. "Hold my beer while I fix this"

Decided to use unistrut,, lag blots and and machine bolts to hold new service line.

Well...... Next storm a year later.... my point of attachment Held strong ,,, BUT.... pulled the entire garage roof over a few inches.
Sometimes ripping the drop off of the house isn't so bad if it saves the structure from damage.

Status
Not open for further replies.