Impromptu Shop Apprentice Class

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
We have an apprentice class twice a month, which is voluntary. I'd like to start teaching code, but am a pretty boring guy who likes talking about code. :)

I'm thinking I need to do something good in the first one to stoke interest in the code and keep from boring people to death. Any ideas?

I'd like my part of the class to be how to read code, as opposed to what we've done up to now, with races to see who can find what fastest, as we've done once or twice in the past.

[ January 15, 2005, 11:48 AM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: Impromptu Shop Apprentice Class

people like contests. it stirs up th blood, and makes learning more interesting.

maybe you could come up with questions that are more thinking oriented rather than oriented towards speedily looking up stuff in the book.

maybe something like this.

an electrician runs a 3/4" conduit containing a #14 hot, neutral, and ground power circuit. How many non-current carrying conductors can he add to the conduit.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

an electrician runs a 3/4" conduit containing a #14 hot, neutral, and ground power circuit. How many non-current carrying conductors can he add to the conduit.
At the risk of exposing my ignorance, I don't get it. Why would you want to run another grounding conductor, and what type of conduit, spring to mind.

I feel sheepish, but I am confused. Please be gentle... :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I my line of work we run a lot of control conductors. They carry no current so don't cause any heat, but do take up space.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I can't give an answer without knowing the conduit and conductor types.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

Peter,
I my line of work we run a lot of control conductors. They carry no current ...
Really? What function do they serve if they carry no current?
Don

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

I'm sure he meant that derating is acceptable, because the currents are so low.

I thought it was a trick question about grounding conductors not needing to be counted for conduit fill, but that wasn't the case.

So, don't hijack this sucker. I need ideas by Wednesday morning! :D

pierre

George
Develop some flash cards, with question that are not too complicated with the answers on the back. Then divide the class into teams and let them work together. Not only will there be a challenge, but they learn to work with other people. When building teams, don't let 'buddies' team up, let the guys who don't work with each other team up. Make it friendly.
If you can get a Whiteboard and colored markers, illustrations will help tremendously when explaining the answers. Don't rush through this in your excitement, as detailed answers are very important.
good luck!!!

Pierre

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by pierre:
Don't rush through this in your excitement, as detailed answers are very important.
good luck!!!
Thanks! You just said a mouthful! One thing I hope to stress is that I can make mistakes too, talking in a hurry. I figure a reward is in line for someone who catches me. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by petersonra:

maybe you could come up with questions that are more thinking oriented rather than oriented towards speedily looking up stuff in the book.
How about this? It may look familiar... :)
1. Can the Authority Having Jurisdiction be one person?

2. In a dwelling unit, once the water bond is connected to the service, is it permissible to pull a #6 to the panel from the ground rod?

3. Consider a dwelling unit built on a slab. If the kitchen on the ground floor contained an island fed through the slab, would the island need to be fed with raceway-protected UF (Underground Feeder) cable?

4. Could an entire house be considered a bathroom?

5. Does equipment indentified as "Type 1" need to be protected from deteriorating agents during construction?

6. Is it legal to install a 240 volt lighting fixture in a dwelling unit?

7. Do wires connected by wire nuts have to be twisted?

8. If a multifamily dwelling unit had three conduits installed to feed the service, is it required to run one of each phase (line, line, neutral) in each conduit?

9. Given the scenario in question 8, would the parallel conduits be required to be installed in the same trench?

10. If a single current-carrying conductor passes through a metal raceway, do you have to cut slots in the conduit to minimize inductive heating?

crossman

Here is a thought on teaching beginning Code:

There is a website known as Electrical Contractor's Network and Joe Tedesco has a website that has numerous photos of code violations. Some of the violations are "not so bad" others are totally outrageous and can cause quite a stir among electricians. Send him an email asking for permission to use the photos. Put together a power point presentation with them.

You can also use these photos when teaching a particular article. Find a photo that is a violation of that particular section and it makes a good intro into the subject.

You can also use the internet to find case studies of electrocutions and fires caused by poor electrical work. These things will bring home the point that the Code is very important for saving lives and property and usually sparks interest.

Definitely try to relate the WHY of the Code rules, not just the code rule itself. "Why does this rule exist?"

crossman

Here is an example:

We are doing a 4 hour update CEU class required by the state for JW license renewal. There are a few additions for required GFCI locations in the 2005 Code. I found several case studies of electrocutions which occurred precisely with these instances that are now addressed by the 2005 code. GFCI would have prevented the fatalities. Definitely an eye opener and it gets the students into the seriousness of the subject matter.

The best attention-getter I have found is actual disaster photos where code violations were the critical factor. Every electrician goes thru the daily grind and never really thinks about the consequences of the what-ifs. When you allow them to see firsthand the worst case scenarios, it grabs their attention! Then you can progress into an interactive discussion and allow them to see how the NEC applies in real life to eliminate hazards.

Status
Not open for further replies.