Ilsco IPC Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carultch

Not familiar with these connectors, do they by chance make any that are IPC on one port but not the other?

Otherwise isn't a main concept of using them is to lessen potential contact with live conductors, which means it wouldn't be a big deal to strip a grounded conductor to terminate it?

How you handle your own grounded conductor is not the issue in question. The issue is how you handle the tap to the existing grounded conductor that lacks insulation, when you planned on using the insulation connector for the neutral as you planned for the ungrounded conductors.

My recommendation if using these on the insulated existing service conductors, is to avoid them for the bare neutral, and use a 3-port insulated tap connector instead (commonly called a Polaris connector). One port to intercept the existing conductor, a second port to reconnect it to its original destination, and a 3rd port for your tap.

The purpose of using these insulation piercing connectors connectors, is so that you can leave the feeder conductors connected to the terminals of their existing destination, and provide a connection to the insulation. These are analogous in concept to saddle valves in plumbing (something I recommend against ever using, and many state plumbing codes prohibit). But the electrical counterparts of insulation piercing connectors, do not suffer form the same issues, and the NEC and UL listing should make them legal to use in theory.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
One thing to keep in mind when using insulation piercing connectors, is that they are only listed to be used on insulated wires. One situation to consider, is insulated ungrounded service conductors, with a bare neutral service conductor. The neutral has a double standard on whether it can be bare or not, depending on the side of the service disconnect. Perhaps an SEU or SER cable is used for the service conductors, which has a bare neutral.

It would be OK to use the IPC on the two line conductors, but you'd need a different kind of connector for terminating your neutral to the bare neutral of the service conductors.
How you handle your own grounded conductor is not the issue in question. The issue is how you handle the tap to the existing grounded conductor that lacks insulation, when you planned on using the insulation connector for the neutral as you planned for the ungrounded conductors.
My recommendation if using these on the insulated existing service conductors, is to avoid them for the bare neutral, and use a 3-port insulated tap connector instead (commonly called a Polaris connector). One port to intercept the existing conductor, a second port to reconnect it to its original destination, and a 3rd port for your tap.
The purpose of using these insulation piercing connectors connectors, is so that you can leave the feeder conductors connected to the terminals of their existing destination, and provide a connection to the insulation. These are analogous in concept to saddle valves in plumbing (something I recommend against ever using, and many state plumbing codes prohibit). But the electrical counterparts of insulation piercing connectors, do not suffer form the same issues, and the NEC and UL listing should make them legal to use in theory.

I’ll have to look to be sure, but I’m thinking some can be used on bare conductors

Last edited:

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
One thing to keep in mind when using insulation piercing connectors, is that they are only listed to be used on insulated wires. One situation to consider, is insulated ungrounded service conductors, with a bare neutral service conductor. The neutral has a double standard on whether it can be bare or not, depending on the side of the service disconnect. Perhaps an SEU or SER cable is used for the service conductors, which has a bare neutral.

It would be OK to use the IPC on the two line conductors, but you'd need a different kind of connector for terminating your neutral to the bare neutral of the service conductors.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The purpose of using these insulation piercing connectors connectors, is so that you can leave the feeder conductors connected to the terminals of their existing destination, and provide a connection to the insulation.
I'm under the impression that the main reason for using them is to connect to energized conductors.

Carultch

Looks like it is make/model specific on whether you can use these on bare wires, so you'd need to keep a close eye on your product part numbers to get it correct, if you are depending on this product availability.

Here's an example of one that doesn't permit using it on bare wires:

I'm under the impression that the main reason for using them is to connect to energized conductors.

The datasheet I provided approves the use of connecting them to energized feeder conductors, as long as the tap conductor is not energized. This may be a make/model specific feature as well, and may not necessarily be something you can do with all products of this kind.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Looks like it is make/model specific on whether you can use these on bare wires, so you'd need to keep a close eye on your product part numbers to get it correct, if you are depending on this product availability.

Check out the fourth bullet point from the bottom on the link.
Certain sizes of those are suitable for bare wire..;)

Carultch

Check out the fourth bullet point from the bottom on the link.
Certain sizes of those are suitable for bare wire..;)
It appears to only be the ones that are marked "Not UL", that allow use on bare wire. All the rest, either have the single star or double star, that doesn't allow for use on bare wire. Am I understanding this correctly?

If product approval is generally based on a UL listing, I don't see why you would even expect to be allowed to use a product specifying a lack of this listing in the first place.

kwired

Electron manager

The datasheet I provided approves the use of connecting them to energized feeder conductors, as long as the tap conductor is not energized. This may be a make/model specific feature as well, and may not necessarily be something you can do with all products of this kind.
Do you by chance mean do not connect while "under load"?

Carultch

Do you by chance mean do not connect while "under load"?
Energized, and under load, do not necessarily mean the same thing. All circuits under load are energized, but not all energized circuits are under load.

Energized means either voltage, current, or both, are present in the circuit. Under load means that the circuit is carrying current.

The reason this is significant, is that a component such as a touch-safe fuse holder, is not permitted to be opened under load. But these fuse holders are permitted to be opened, when another means of disconnecting it, is shut off first, and it is part of an open circuit that is voltage-energized. Opening the fuse holder under load, will generate an arc, that the fuse holder cannot quench. But opening it under a static situation of voltage without current, is no issue.

From I understand when reading that datasheet, it is OK to connect the connector to an energized feeder circuit, as long as the tap circuit is initially not energized. I would recommend de-energizing both before installing the connector, if at all possible.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
It appears to only be the ones that are marked "Not UL", that allow use on bare wire. All the rest, either have the single star or double star, that doesn't allow for use on bare wire. Am I understanding this correctly?

If product approval is generally based on a UL listing, I don't see why you would even expect to be allowed to use a product specifying a lack of this listing in the first place.

What I don’t understand is where it says “4 sizes are approved for use with bare wire…” but then says “(Not UL)” on the item number…
so my question is, approved by who, and for what? 🤔

Carultch

What I don’t understand is where it says “4 sizes are approved for use with bare wire…” but then says “(Not UL)” on the item number…
so my question is, approved by who, and for what? 🤔
That's my question as well. The datasheet gives you the run-around on this issue, with no clarity on what the intended application is, if it isn't UL listed. Either you have an AHJ who approves it, despite the lack of a UL listing, or the utility uses these connectors where their work isn't governed by the NEC/AHJ.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
That's my question as well. The datasheet gives you the run-around on this issue, with no clarity on what the intended application is, if it isn't UL listed. Either you have an AHJ who approves it, despite the lack of a UL listing, or the utility uses these connectors where their work isn't governed by the NEC/AHJ.
The only place we use them is CT metering for the voltage wires.
Not an NEC issue..

They are used quite often (improperly I might add) in panels for Solar connections that I see.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Why do you say "improperly"?
Installed on bends.
Generally speaking, service wire in a house panel isn’t going to have a straight section long enough or enough room to install these, along with the CTs and everything else I see in them.
Now if the panel is big enough, I’m all for them. But I see them installed in bends more often than not.

Carultch

Installed on bends.
Generally speaking, service wire in a house panel isn’t going to have a straight section long enough or enough room to install these, along with the CTs and everything else I see in them.
Now if the panel is big enough, I’m all for them. But I see them installed in bends more often than not.

Ok, so your use of the word "improperly" refers to the mechanics of installing them, that is common for installers to get incorrect. Rather than whether or not the application is a proper use of the product in the first place.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Ok, so your use of the word "improperly" refers to the mechanics of installing them, that is common for installers to get incorrect. Rather than whether or not the application is a proper use of the product in the first place.
I love them for the application, and as stated earlier for the application we use them for also.
It’s one of the devices that installers fail to read the directions before installing them.

Lance Aryeff

New User
Occupation
Supervising Electrician
I have an inspector that is not passing installations that are using the IPC's and is telling us he is waiting on updated safety instructions from the manufacturer. I have not found any information that there is an issue or any new instructions forthcoming. Has anyone else gotten this message or heard of an issue with these connectors?
We had to stop using them years ago due to the lack of being service rated. Ilsco GTA 250-250 with Ilsco GTC-250 is what I mostly use now. They are way safer, too.

Status
Not open for further replies.