Ilsco IPC Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.
What UL standard has different ratings for the services versus feeders, and what NEC section requires connectors with different ratings for the service versus feeders?

Cheers, Wayne

This isn't my work, I stole it from the web:

In the 2014 NEC, code language was added in 376.56(B)(1) to ensure that power distribution blocks installed on the line side of the service equipment were listed for the purpose. Before the code language was added, it was common practice to see any kind of power distribution block used ahead of service equipment with no regard to the suitability of the product being located on the line or load side of an overcurrent protection device.

Since the above code language was only found in Article 376, it was only applicable if the power distribution blocks were installed in a metal wireway.

In the 2017 NEC, similar code language was added to 314.28(E)(1) with the intent to have the rules apply to power distribution blocks in any box or enclosure.

In the 2020 NEC, the language previously located in 314.28(E)(1) was revised and relocated to 230.46 and now applies to power distribution blocks used with service-entrance conductors regardless of the enclosure type they are used in.

The revised 2020 requirements specify the following:

Power distribution blocks, pressure connectors, and devices for splicing or tapping service-entrance conductors shall be listed
Power distribution blocks installed on service conductors shall be marked “suitable for use on the line side of the service equipment” or equivalent
Effective January 1, 2023, not just power distribution blocks, but any pressure connector or device used to splice or tap service conductors shall be marked “suitable for use on the line side of the service equipment” or equivalent.
The post date of 2023 provides time for product safety standards to catch up and test methods to be established that will address free-floating wire splices or devices that are not necessarily meant to be connected to the enclosure but generally connect other conductors of the same polarity. These devices move with the spliced conductors during a high-level fault condition and have not been required thus far to be tested in the same way that a power distribution block that is bolted to the enclosure is.

So long story short, it only applies at this time to power distribution blocks. I would be curious what the justification for this is. Were there incidences of service conductor splices and power distribution blocks failing? (Trying to hold back a laugh).

kwired

Electron manager
This isn't my work, I stole it from the web:

So long story short, it only applies at this time to power distribution blocks. I would be curious what the justification for this is. Were there incidences of service conductor splices and power distribution blocks failing? (Trying to hold back a laugh).
Available fault current at most dwellings usually isn't high enough to be much issue I would think or even many light commercial applications.

Also there is a reason service conductors are somewhat limited on how much can be inside buildings for a reason. Connections are generally going to be the failure point whether a listed (for the use) termination or not.

Sounds more to me like another reason to make more profit over a technicality thing whether you can actually prove it is justified or not. Cry safety and you will get a few bites anyway.

BradPV

Occupation
Residential PV Qualifier
NSI has actually updated the install sheet and there are certain models that are approved for installation on a bare conductor. These do not have any statement that I have seen to say thery are not UL rated. I'm under the impression these are all UL rated.
I'm under the impression that the main reason for using them is to connect to energized conductors.
That is the whole point to using these, as long as the load is removed they can be installed without coordinating with the POCO (energized). When the instructions are followed and the correct torque values are met I think these are a great product and can be safely used. Below is the updated install sheet dated 12-15-21.

Attachments

• FORM 73 IPC sheet.pdf
    196.6 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.