ICC Standard Master Exam

Status
Not open for further replies.

skukybros

Anyone taken this exam recently? I have to take it for KC MO. I have taken ICC exams in other trades, but none for electrical. Just curious on content, Its says it's a nec 2011 exam. We are on 2017 in IA, so I have to get back into the 2011 book. They give you 5 hours which is 1 hour longer than anything I have done before. Could be good, could be bad.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

skukybros

This exam had about 5 to 7 theory questions, 25+ calculation questions, and the rest straight code. It is geared very much toward industrial wiring. There are only a couple residential questions and only a handful of light commercial. The majority of the calculations are motor and transformer calculations.

Some states require 70% to pass and some states require 75% to pass. I was required to get 75 percent to pass. I fell slightly short and did not pass on first attempt. I will study all of Mike's resources on motor and transformer calculations. I feel that If I can get cleaned up on those calculations I can exceed the 75% mark.

In my company we just simply never do industrial wiring and never deal with motors and or transformers so I have little personal experience In 20 years of wiring. The 5 hours is plenty is of time, I just did not know well enough how to set up the calculations to get accurate answers. Hopefully this may help guide someone else that may take this exam.

skukybros

I passed this exam on second try. I will say most of the code questions were obscure. On the second trip there seemed to be more theory than the first trip. Calculations were still fairly tough. Most required several different phases of progressive set up. In other words if you get going wrong in the beginning it goes off the rails quick. There were a couple gimme box fill and service questions but otherwise you need to know how to do motor and transformer calcs. If anyone has any questions about this exam shoot me a message.

Status
Not open for further replies.