IBT - necessary for feeder to outbuilding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ururk

New User
Occupation
Homeowner
I've been planning a project for the past few months - running power to an outbuilding. This is my plan:

1) Run two hot and one neutral conductor along with a dedicated ground wire from a breaker on the house's panel to the panel (with disconnect) in the garage, sized for the service
2) At the garage, the neutral bar is separate from the ground bar
3) #6 AWG solid copper wire run to two 8' copper clad ground rods - minimum of 10' apart (no ufer ground available)

So far, hopefully this doesn't raise any red flags. As I've been doing some additional research I came across Intersystem Bonding Terminals/Bridges. It sounds like these are to be used by telco/cable providers, and not for regular grounding connections. Since I do not plan on having cable/phone at the garage, should I even bother installing one? The one that caught my eye was Madison Electric's MEIBB Intersystem Bonding Bridge - I had planned on encasing my grounding conductor in conduit from the foundation wall to the box, so the ground wire won't be directly attachable in the future. It's only $11, so adding it in won't break the bank and if it will be a useful addition down the road I'd be inclined to install it.

I should also mention - I'm running ethernet or fiber (leaning towards fiber) and will have my networking equipment located next to the load center.

Thanks!

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.
This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals
* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain. Reminder to all members, if you see a questionable post, feel free to report it by clicking "Report" at the bottom left corner of the post.

Status
Not open for further replies.