Status
Not open for further replies.

jinabox

New User
Occupation
electrician
60 Amp Hot Tub

Says use 90 copper conductors only

I ran #4 AL to Spa Pack, From Spa Pack I ran #4 AL to inside the Hot Tub, Inside the Hot Tub I put a 6x6 box and terminated the AL to approved AL/CU insulated Lugs. Ran #6 CU to the Termination point of the Spa Box. I got approval to Terminate the #6CU but i failed to mention i was changing AL to CU mid run

Can you change from Copper to AL mid run? What's the difference of installing an AC style Disconnect in place of the 6x6? What's the difference of if Copper tailing a #12AL to #14CU with an approved connector?

Where are the code rules regarding Termination points?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
You can mix and match conductor types as long as the connections are approved for the materIals used.

Welcome to the forum.

Buck Parrish

NEC 110.3

What is the tub doing or Is it just not cutting on? Did you check the connections? The biggest problem with AL to Cu is heating which causes the metal to break down and cause problems and more heating. But as stated above, it's allowed as long as it meets the requirements in 110.3

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I don't see the reason for the JB inside the spa cabinet? Just run from the spa pack/disconnect to the terminals in the spa. I would run the Al conductors to the spa pack and change to copper from the spa pack to the control panel inside the spa cabinet. If you're just trying to save money on wire, you just wasted it on the price of the 6x6 box, extra splice kit, and most importantly, the extra time/labor spent on adding the box and splices.

Eddy_Current

No Canadian code violation doing it that way as long as all terminations with aluminum are rated for it.

The #6 copper connected to the hot tub should be at least 1.2 meters long to meet the termination temperature code 4-006(4)

Status
Not open for further replies.