i need help on a gate opener w/ video please

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I'm looking for input on the following setup:

Gate is 1000' from the house; i have 2x 1 1/4" conduits from the networking equipment room to the gate.

Customer wants a keypad/intercom at the gate w/ video monitoring at the house. Everything i'm seeing is 2-wire and limited on distance. I'm looking for something that would operate on networking protocols so that i can run fiber down there.

The customer also wants to view/open the gate from the cell phone. I've found this product/ for the phone control. But i'm striking out on controlling it from the house w/ video without going into a home automation controller, which they are adamantly against.

wwhitney

Occupation
Retired
I know nothing about this topic. But if you've found a solution that will provide all of the required functionality from a phone, can you do that on an additional phone/tablet? If so, maybe just use a second one for the fixed location functionality at the house.

Cheers, Wayne

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Have you looked at the usual entry control companies like Doorking? https://www.doorking.com/

I haven't looked at their products but you may be trying to kill too many birds with one stone. For the video it might be better to provide a stand alone camera and that certainly could be connected with fiber.

Not sure how you could get video and gate control done via a cell phone. There might be something out there but I suspect you are looking at someone writing a program that will run on a PC that the cell phone could access via WiFi and the internet.

I would give Doorking a call and talk to them. They've probably been there.

-Hal

Last edited:

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Have you looked at the usual entry control companies like Doorking? https://www.doorking.com/

I haven't looked at their products but you may be trying to kill too many birds with one stone. For the video it might be better to provide a stand alone camera and that certainly could be connected with fiber.

Not sure how you could get video and gate control done via a cell phone. There might be something out there but I suspect you are looking at someone writing a program that will run on a PC that the cell phone could access via WiFi and the internet.

-Hal

thanks..... i have looked at some of their products. I didn't find exactly what i was looking for, but may just have to try and piece a few things together.

I've got a couple of calls in with a manufacturer i deal with and a local gate company; waiting to hear back from them also.

At this point i'm thinking about just doing a telephone entry system and using that 'gogogate' product i linked above. We're doing a NUVO audio system here as well, and i think i may try to talk them into a wall-mounted android tablet that can double as a nuvo controller in addition to being a video monitor and control for the gate.

Jacob S

Checkout doorbird.com. It is network based, PoE or local powered, has a relay built in to trigger gate open, camera, intercom, decent mobile apps, etc. In addition, you can tie this camera feed into the NVR for the home, for a local log. I would personally run fiber to an enclosure near the gate, and set a small industrial type PoE switch, that can withstand the heat / humidity of the area.

It can also be tied into SIP based phone system / intercom, or home automation systems such as Control4, Crestron, etc.

Pretty decent platform, overall.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child

That may work as well. I’m going to check it out.

I talked with the customer again today, and they’re ok with not having a keypad entry.

As of right now what I’m looking to do is install a Legrand IC5002 outdoor intercom station at the gate, and a Legrand broadcast intercom station in the house. The intercom module has contacts to trigger the gate opener. The door station can go up to 1000’ on cat5.
So that will give them a way to have someone call from the gate, and to trigger it to open.

And then I’ll add the GoGoGate opener so she can view an IP camera and open the gate from her phone.

I’ll run Cat6 for the intercom, and fiber for the camera.

But the item you linked above may work as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jacob S

I've never seen the GoGoGate device. That's a pretty slick, thanks for sharing. Might come in handy sometime.

The one thing I would potentially be cautious about is having a copper cat 6 go from the house to the gate, especially with that distance. From past experience with projects in lightning territory, I am skeptical to let copper cable leave the premise. If I can't avoid it, I pass the cables through the service entrance, so protectors can be installed and bonded straight to the GEC.

You can become a doorbird dealer, but you might be able to buy one off Amazon to test out. Make sure you get the D2101V or similar, which is the latest line.

Let us know how it goes.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Wanted to update this ....

I priced out running a fiber to the gate, IP camera, and intercom with opener at the house. The customer decided they really wanted something just phone app based with video, so we went with the Watchman Evo 850 from cell-gate.com

I signed up to be a dealer which was really easy; the markups are good at 40% plus install. This customer also added the external IP camera option.

The MSRP on the call station is $2700, and $800 for the camera. Customer will pay $40/mo I think it is. I had about $2400 in it for all materials (pole was another $130, plus wiring) and 10/hrs labor. There was no existing call box.

The really nice thing is that the account setup was done by Cell-Gate, so it was ready to go when installed. They called my customer before shipping and setup her account login details, so as soon as we powered it up she could login and use it. They include a temporary installer login for testing.

When someone pulls up to the gate and presses the call button, it shows up on her phone like a FaceTime video call. You can add additional iOS/Android users to roll over to if the first user doesn’t pick up, and you can also have three landlines set to ring.

You can also login at any time and view each camera, open/close the gate and view its status. Also it allows for pre-programmed open/close scheduling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Thanks for the followup. It's tough to keep up with all the new products that are out there today. Going to file this one away for future reference. :thumbsup:

-Hal

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
I wanted to post another follow-up to this install.

This has turned out to be not the most reliable setup. The customer has lost functionality a few times over the last few months since install requiring the system to be reset.

Also, the customer uses an android phone, and no longer has live video feed from the built-in camera; that stopped working a couple of months ago, and the manufacturer states it is an issue with their app that they are working on. They still have live video from the remote camera, but that has to be accessed manually. When someone calls from the gate, and the app opens on their phone, they have no video feed.

Since the Microsoft azure system outage, they’ve had several issues.

The manufacturer has given no timeline on restoring live video services. They state that it is working normally on iOS devices.

As of now I’m no longer recommending this product.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.