Hydraulics/Pnuematics?

Status
Not open for further replies.

midget

Anyone an industrial/maintenance electrician who works on Hydraulics and Pnuemeatics stuff as well as electrical? I've been doing some research in terms of jobs, and a lot of the job listings I see says Hydraulics/Pnuematics are a plus, when applying, and some even say HVAC knowledge...why is that? I can't figure that out. So how do you learn these skills? Is some of it covered in the apprenticeship, or do you have to go about learning it by other means?

bphgravity

Re: Hydraulics/Pnuematics?

Pneumatic and hydraulic systems are more of a mechanical trade than electrical, however, lots of equipment and machinery utilize both, so basic knowledge is required in order understand the complete operation of the utilization equipment.

Brake systems, lifting systems (elevators) cutting systems, drilling rigs, and irrigation systems are a few examples of a few operations that would require an electrician and a mechanic to design, install, and maintain.

The 4-year apprenticeship program I am involved in does not cover any aspects of these two systems, however, there is another apprenticehip program that does.

HVAC is heating, ventilation, and air conditioning. Again, these systems have a close relationship with electrical systems and therefore knowledge of how and why they work is nealry essential for the typical electrician today.

iwire

Staff member

Midget I spent 5+ years as a Electrician Mechanic at an amusement park. I had to service all these systems and I will say if you can learn electrical systems you can learn hydraulics and pneumatics.

I found the work interesting and challenging.

Remember though, all three systems, electrical, hydraulics, pneumatics can kill you in the blink of an eye, or worse very slowly :eek: . Do your homework before you jump in.

midget

All the classes I'm taking are really big on safety...so that's a plus. :) I took a class on Hydraulics and Pnuematics one time, and I was like wow this suck...lol...but the teacher was kind of a jerk, so that kinda turned me away from H/P stuff. And at first it really didn't make since...but now that I've seen some more stuff, and been exposed to some more electrical stuff, H/P makes more since. How would I go about learning more stuff about the systems though? In terms of building them, mainitaning them, troubleshooting them...is Hydraulics and Pnuematics something I could get some exposure to at a community college or what? LOL...I stated to type amusement park... :roll: I need some coffee. lol

[ December 06, 2004, 09:54 PM: Message edited by: midget ]

charlie tuna

one thing to keep in mind is the fact that mechanical system's pnuematic controls are being phased out of both industries since electrical controls have more advantages and provide a feedback to where the control is, on it's control sequence. this is causing the reduction of schooling in this phase of both industries. it would be nice to know - but the future is electrical controls...

rickcham

Midget

Today most systems are being upgraded to PLC/DCS control systems, but there are areas(Power industry is one) that has plants from before the 1970's that still rely on the hydraulic and pneumatic controls for the field equipment that will interface with the electronic controls.
I work on these systems all the time on gas and steam turbines.
If you wnat more information look up the ISA also if you wnat ot learn more on these items at a college you can look into the elctro-mechanical programs.
Most offer the basic courses in hydraulic and pnenmatic systems.

Rick

midget

Thanks for the input, guys. :) But I just figured if I found some classes for Pnuematics, that would be a plus to know that stuff too. :)

rattus

Midget, if you have not done so already, I would suggest that you at least take courses in algebra and basic physics. You should understand the concept of "units", i.e., that is units of mass, length, time, etc. and of course electrical units such as volts, amps, ohms, watts, etc.

If you have the basics in your brain, hydraulics and pneumatics should be pretty easy. For that matter, mechanical systems can be converted into electrical equivalents (on paper that is), and that is the basis of the analog computers of days past.

midget

Right now I'm taking Algrebra 3-4....some of it's kinda...wow...oh my god...what am I gonna do with this? :) Thanks for the input.

rattus

Midget, you should also take some trig so you can understand vectors, leading and lagging currents, power factor, etc. Trig is a must for understanding 3-phase circuits.

Also understand that:

We measure voltage in volts. We do not measure "the volts".

We measure current in amperes. We do not measure "the amps".

We measure power in watts. We do not measure "the watts".

We measure resistance in ohms. We do not measure "the ohms".

Just thought of some other picky things. We measure current with an ammeter, not an "ampmeter".

[ December 11, 2004, 12:48 AM: Message edited by: rattus ]

midget

I did a some trig when I took Geometry last year...how much do you consider "some"? :) But a review on some stuff would probably be good. Do they cover some math the forumulas and such needed when you do the classes in the apprenticeship?

Status
Not open for further replies.