Hydraulic Freight Elevator Modernization

Status
Not open for further replies.

vpower1989

Occupation
Engineer
Hello All,

I am working on a project that involves the modernization on an existing Hydraulic Freight Elevator. The elevator contractor is replacing the elevator controller, door controller, HPU, and all the fixtures on the elevator. I am working on providing the power feeds required by the elevator contractor- currently there is a single feeder feeding a fused disconnect. This disconnects feeds the elevator controller. The existing door controller gets fed from the elevator controller.

I was able to get on a pre-job walk with the state elevator inspector to ensure I had my scope defined. Now, obviously current code requires the ability to shunt trip the main line feed to the elevator if there is a fire sprinkler in the machine room and/or hoist-way. So my first order of business is to provide the ability to shunt trip the elevator.

My previous experience with elevators was a hydraulic passenger elevator which had a combined elevator/door controller. I was able to specify a nifty Eaton Elevator Control switch which was an OCPT, disconnecting means, and shunt trip all in one. It also had provisions for monitoring shunt trip voltage and had auxiliary contacts for the battery lowering system.

In this case I have a separate elevator controller and door controller. The state inspector requires a separate disconnect for each item and a single shunt trip that would cut power to both items. For those with more experience, what is the common practice to achieve this? Are people specifying a stand alone shunt trip breaker that feeds two disconnect switches? Are people putting in a small electrical panel with a shunt trip main breaker? Any feedback appreciated.

Thanks.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Can a single breaker supply both controllers, as far as max OCPD is concerned?

If not I would ask if you can use two separate shunt breakers with a common shunt actuation device.

Another alternative would be two contactors with their coil power connected to a single shunt breaker. Or you could possibly Route the coil power through a micro switch or relay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.