Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have access to an iFlex?

40e03e20e2962edea2fb4f1d5eb0e2a6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Well I went out right now and turned every heater on and it held at 195 for 10 minutes. Took the new clamp meter around the wires for the 200 amp main. Then took a reading of each A phase wire feeding it.
then took my dumb FLIR one ( never buy FLIR)
And took took this picture.
Then I went to turn of one heater so it would not be so warm. Then proceeded to gently move the top a phase wire. The humming would change sound every time I moved it. The. I noticed the amps clipping and not matching other a phase wire. Then it hit 139 on the one wire and popped
I think Bill was right looses connection.
Power company is coming out and I am going to check all connection.
Or that wire is rubbing on something as it vibrates. Either way seems to me it’s in the new panel
I think I am going to stick with CH panels
Unless they compensate me if it is there fault

Attachments

• 46CDB853-6365-44E1-B4C8-89F1629CB1FF.jpeg
    46CDB853-6365-44E1-B4C8-89F1629CB1FF.jpeg
    452.7 KB · Views: 35
NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
Now that you are in the tool buying mood, get a Fluke 87, or similar, so you can read mV. An old school FOP check would have found your problem within the first few minutes. Both times. Then again so would have the Flir, but at a safer distance.

You still needed that new meter

ps: that breaker is overloaded. A 190 amp load on a 200 is asking for trouble. IDC what the charts and graphs say. PP design.

Last edited:

kwired

Electron manager
Well I went out right now and turned every heater on and it held at 195 for 10 minutes. Took the new clamp meter around the wires for the 200 amp main. Then took a reading of each A phase wire feeding it.
then took my dumb FLIR one ( never buy FLIR)
And took took this picture.
Then I went to turn of one heater so it would not be so warm. Then proceeded to gently move the top a phase wire. The humming would change sound every time I moved it. The. I noticed the amps clipping and not matching other a phase wire. Then it hit 139 on the one wire and popped
I think Bill was right looses connection.
Power company is coming out and I am going to check all connection.
Or that wire is rubbing on something as it vibrates. Either way seems to me it’s in the new panel
I think I am going to stick with CH panels
Unless they compensate me if it is there fault
I thought you replaced meter-main? or at least the main breaker? Still have loose connections after that?

Though 195 is pushing it a little it should still hold pretty much indefinitely if everything is in good condition. Any resistance in connections or switch contact and it will probably heat up and trip on thermal operation.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I did replace meter main. The loose connection on breaker was found when installing new panel. It looks as thoug either running wires behind caused an issue with conductor rubbing. Or there is a loose connection on meter side for the top A phase wire

kwired

Electron manager
You installed a new main but plugged it onto original panel bus bars?

If those bus bars had been overheated before, the connection is still compromised, if you heated up the new breaker bus plugs, it may now be compromised. Need to replace both.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
ps: that breaker is overloaded. A 190 amp load on a 200 is asking for trouble. IDC what the charts and graphs say. PP design.

I agree. Once I fix this issue, I Write a letter to owner about that.
The PO just sent me 4 years of peak 41.85kw meter reading taken last year. Meter reading is at 15 minute intervals

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I changed the whole assembly. It was a Siemens meter main with 16 spaces. I went to square d main breaker with 20 spaces.Only thing that is original are the branch circuit
Sorry about confusion

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
Thank you guys for your help. Found out it was a lose connection coming off the load side of the meter. Parallel A phase is within 4 amps of each other now.
Still a light hum on the meter side.. but nothing is lose or overheating.

Status
Not open for further replies.