How would you price this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
If you are thinking 6 hours, at least make it 8. If you base your workday on 8 hours per day, make a full day.

Todd0x1

$500 seems pretty low for materials these days. You could end up paying $100 just to get an out of stock $20 breaker.....

JoeNorm

Thank you. This is the sort of advise I was looking for. I was falling in the $2.5K zone also before I asked the question. Interesting method of doubling hours and rate.

I have a simple task to do and am curious how others with more experience in set pricing would approach it.

Transformer exists at the street. My task is to install a 200 amp meter/main combo enclosure next to transformer with at least a couple pipe stubs for a future building and RV pad and septic controls.

There will be hand digging, and a couple bags worth of concrete mixed and poured. Total materials cost will be in the $400-$500 range(my cost)

I imagine putting the enclosure together with strut, wire whip for utility, etc plus the install shouldn't take more than about 6 hours(give or take).

How would you price this? I am in a fairly high cost area so people are not typically scared by large numbers. I could go the T&M route but I'd like to work toward set pricing for straightforward stuff like this.

Thanks
I’m at around $1,800 plus permit fees in this scenario.

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
I would never price a job at 6 hours.

That takes your entire day, and you Can’t really add a 2 hour job to make up for it. If you could, you’d be over 8 hours anyway with drive time.

I don’t do a lot of small jobs, like couple hour jobs, so I’m either half day rate, or full day rate. Even if it Takes 6 hours, it’s a full day rate.

ritelec

Interesting method of doubling hours and rate.
And you'll never get the job.

Reminds me of my airport conveyor work working for someone 20 years ago.
Was asked to go to a part of the terminal to scope out for some work. It was so overwhelming me and the other guy asked how do you estimate something like this. He said however long you think it's going to take double it.
I told this story this story to an estimator in NYC 9 years ago. As I was about to say double it, she cut me off and said triple it.
Wonder if it's quadruple today?

There will always be someone to do it for less or more than you. Give a number that you won't feel like this sucks I'm losing money and spinning my wheels while your working. Chances are you are losing money and spinning your wheels. But, keeping the doors open.

JoeNorm

There will always be someone to do it for less or more than you. Give a number that you won't feel like this sucks I'm losing money and spinning my wheels while your working. Chances are you are losing money and spinning your wheels. But, keeping the doors open.

Is this how you do business? Just to keep the doors open?

Status
Not open for further replies.