How to tell how much cable left on this reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
Cable with solid conductors (including NM) are subject to work hardening and cracking from repeated flexing. They are intended to be bent as necessary during installation and then left undisturbed. Portable cord designed for for repeated flexing uses stranded or even finely stranded conductors.
Make sense. Do you have any details on the cable I posted?

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
Cable with solid conductors (including NM) are subject to work hardening and cracking from repeated flexing. They are intended to be bent as necessary during installation and then left undisturbed. Portable cord designed for for repeated flexing uses stranded or even finely stranded conductors.
I understand. Do you have knowledge of this cable ? Anything you have to share

kwired

Electron manager
If able to count how many wraps still on the reel, measure circumference and multiply by number of wraps -- gets you close on length. Remember each layer gets lesser circumference.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
If you know the size of the conductor couldn't you use ohm meter using the tables 8 in chapter 9 ohms/km
My supply house has a instrument that measures resistance on the wire and then it tells you the quantity. I've had them do that for me on spools of THWN and it was within a foot from actual length. Pretty handy!

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
If able to count how many wraps still on the reel, measure circumference and multiply by number of wraps -- gets you close on length. Remember each layer gets lesser circumference.
If you can get an accurate part number off wire, Airgaurd (the wire OP shows) for their wire lists weight per length, and if you can weigh the balance of wire it will get you close approximate.

Status
Not open for further replies.