How to tell how much cable left on this reel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
Senior Electrical Engineer
How do I know how much cable left on this reel ? Also anyone have any knowledge of this cable is it good for underwater application and does it have also a data cable inside?

Attachments

• dock project.pdf
    1.1 MB · Views: 68

Carultch

If you have access to an empty identical reel, you can weigh the empty reel, and call it W0. Then weigh the reel in question, and call it W. Look up the weight-per-foot of the cable, we'll call w.

Your calculation becomes:
L = (W - W0)/w

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
If you have access to an empty identical reel, you can weigh the empty reel, and call it W0. Then weigh the reel in question, and call it W. Look up the weight-per-foot of the cable, we'll call w.

Your calculation becomes:
L = (W - W0)/w
Can the indication on the cable that said 16Meters subtract from the length of the entire reel to give the remaining ? the problem I dont know the entire reel length. But I see 2010 could this be the entire length. There are six pages for this attachment look at all of them

Attachments

• CABLE.pdf
    212.8 KB · Views: 16

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
this is the same cable i strip it but not sure what the one conductor wire in it was for. Someone was telling me it is for data can anyone confirm?

Attachments

• ANOTHER.pdf
    300.4 KB · Views: 19

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I saw "meters" in the third pic. Can't you find both ends and do simple subtraction?

We pulled 524 feet of CAT5 cable today, according to the numbers on the jacket (1000 - 476).

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
I saw "meters" in the third pic. Can't you find both ends and do simple subtraction?

We pulled 524 feet of CAT5 cable today, according to the numbers on the jacket (1000 - 476).
Thanks will do that. Can you tell what that small cable in the pic. for is it for data or signal ?

SSDriver

Occupation
Electrician
Southwire Partial Reel Calculator. They have an app for your phone. You can enter the dimensions of the wire or cable(OD) and the dimensions of the reel and it will calculate it for you. You then measure the distance from the wire/cable on the reel to the outside edge of the reel. It should get you close.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
Is there a tag on the reel showing starting numbers?
I see “000267 meters” but I don’t know what’s at the bottom of the reel.
check the length of wire sticking out at the center of the reel and see what the numbers are there.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
this is written on the cable can any one used this cable before Made in USA by Prysmain Airgroung Cable x 3/C 350 KCM Compact CU, XLPE #4 AWG CU GROUNG 600V 45 MF 9/125 SS TUBE 2010 00016 METERS. Would like to see a drawing of it.

WasGSOHM

Occupation
EE
Besides dimensions and weights, if you have access to both ends of the cable you might measure resistance.

If you do two checks and the numbers are far apart, you've got problems . . .unless you don't need much accuracy.

Todd0x1

What are you looking to use this for? The application where you were asking about portable cord (type W or G) for a dock? The stuff you posted in this thread isn't going to like continuous flexing.

Ainsley Whyte

Occupation
What are you looking to use this for? The application where you were asking about portable cord (type W or G) for a dock? The stuff you posted in this thread isn't going to like continuous flexing.
Yes that what it was for. Can you explain ?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Cable with solid conductors (including NM) are subject to work hardening and cracking from repeated flexing. They are intended to be bent as necessary during installation and then left undisturbed. Portable cord designed for for repeated flexing uses stranded or even finely stranded conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.