How to repair a broken sheath

Status
Not open for further replies.

shputnik

Occupation
Expert wirenut installer
curious how someone would repair a busted sheath of mc without removing the whole cable

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Busted how? The armor is opened up? About the only thing you can do is put a box in and splice or if you are lucky, move a box to where the damage is.

-Hal

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
In the middle of a run, I'd spiral-wrap with electrical tape, overlapping 50%, end to end and back. That gives you four layers.

At a cable end, I might slide some new sheath from scrap cable and just tape the gap where the old and new sheaths meet.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
In the middle of a run, I'd spiral-wrap with electrical tape, overlapping 50%, end to end and back. That gives you four layers.

At a cable end, I might slide some new sheath from scrap cable and just tape the gap where the old and new sheaths meet.
I will add that you would need to make sure there are no shards of the armor sheath that could pierce the conductors inside. If it's open enough, you could slide a couple of "red heads", one on each side, or just one if that's all the room you have. Then do your tape job.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Oops! I missed the "of MC" portion of the question; I was answering for NM. How long is the "busted" section that it can't be put back together? One spot or split for a length?

The only "proper" repair I can imagine would be two J-boxes and a new length of MC. If looks and protection don't matter, I'd to a repair like I described with metallic duct tape.

Status
Not open for further replies.