How to get into EE Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoninEE

Hi guys,

I recently stumbled onto your forum by doing a Google search on taking the EIT/FE exam because I wanted to get into a design position at the local utility company or any of the electrical contracting firms in the area. Well my current situation is as follows. I graduated a few years ago with a BSEE and my emphasis of study was in communications. I currently work as a manufacturing engineer that makes research and OEM equipment, basically I have no experience with power distribution, transmission, etc., but I am very interested in the field. Essentially I want to get out of manufacturing and get into either working for a utility company or an electrical contracting firm. How do I get my foot in the door to break into this field? Would it even make a difference if I passed the EIT exam with no experience? Is obtaining the EIT a start? What other measures can I take in order to make myself a better canidate? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

kingpb

Occupation
Engineer, Registered
Pass the EIT, then work to get the experience to take the PE. The experience will need to be under the supervision of a registered engineer, so if you go to a Contractor, make sure it's one that has a PE on staff. This will be necessary to verify your engineering experience on the application for the PE. If you have no intention of becoming a PE, don't bother getting the EIT. You will cap out in wages and responsibility pretty quick with no PE, but hey, maybe that's ok.

jtester

There is little in common between utility design and commercial building design except that electrons flow in both systems. The approach to design is different, the systems are different, the rules are different, etc. The basic thought process is different.

I struggled for a few years after I left the utility design world and entered commercial building design because the rules are so different.

Both are rewarding, but one won't lead into the other in most cases.

As far as obtaining an EIT without experience, I say go for it since experience isn't applicable for the EIT. Many students take it before they even graduate.

You will probably make more money consulting, but the insecurity and the pressures are greater there. You've got to be a major screw up to get fired by a utility, that isn't so in consulting.

Jim T

plate

I have no Doubt that the EIT and PE would be a great help. However, make sure that this is the field for you. Some jobs are very desk oriented, some field oriented and some have both. I say this because that is an important part of your job happiness. Being stuck at a desk/computer can sometimes be boring for young engineers. Just a few thoughts which may or may not apply to you.

O

oliver100

I would sugest - get a job as an electritian (industrial preferable) for a while to see what is on the filed and then it is easy to put your combined knowledge on paper. I think this would be the "foot at the door".

(At leaast I started this way. PE is very handy to secure a job, althogh it does not mean a lot of know how)

Good luck

lile001

Engineering Jobs

Engineering Jobs

Walk in to an engineering firm and offer your services. Many engineering firms are always looking for recent grads EIT or no. I got my first job by cold-calling engineering companies, and the first one I called hired me. On the job training is the only way to learn this stuff, they don't teach it in school.

--Lawrence Lile, P.E.

RoninEE said:
Hi guys,

I recently stumbled onto your forum by doing a Google search on taking the EIT/FE exam because I wanted to get into a design position at the local utility company or any of the electrical contracting firms in the area. Well my current situation is as follows. I graduated a few years ago with a BSEE and my emphasis of study was in communications. I currently work as a manufacturing engineer that makes research and OEM equipment, basically I have no experience with power distribution, transmission, etc., but I am very interested in the field. Essentially I want to get out of manufacturing and get into either working for a utility company or an electrical contracting firm. How do I get my foot in the door to break into this field? Would it even make a difference if I passed the EIT exam with no experience? Is obtaining the EIT a start? What other measures can I take in order to make myself a better canidate? Your thoughts are greatly appreciated.

dereckbc

Staff member
This is an pretty straight foward Q/A. There are lots of paths to get where you want, but at this point here is what I suggest.

1. Get a professional resume and cover letter made up. Don't do this yourself, fork over the $$$$ to get it done.

2. Determine which cities or areas you are willing to relocate too.

3. Once you have your target cities, get on GOOGLE and find the firms and power companies. Mass mail your resume and cover letters to all the firms and power companies you possible can.

4. Wait.

Networking is the best way to get in a company, so if you know anyone working in a firm or POCO, hookup.

I just preformed a search and found hundreds of entry level positions in both A/E and POCO's. In the mean time get the books out and study for the EIT.

wanderer20001us

If you have any question in your mind about having a career as a PE, take and pass the EIT as quickly as possible. That test is very comprehensive (chemistry, physics, electrical, dynamics,etc.) and that stuff leaks out of your head quickly if you are not using it after college. I got my BSEE in electronics but went into the power field and got my PE, so it is doable. It took a lot of field work and getting my journeyman's license as a plus, but it has paid off huge.

jcook980

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Depending on your experience...

Depending on your experience...

...you may not need to wait the four years (typically) after you pass the FE exam before taking the PE. If you have a four year ABET EE degree, four years experience in responsible charge of engineering after graduation, personal references (at least a couple by PEs) and passing both tests is all you really need. I know one EE who took the FE and PE the same weekend and passed both to become a PE. It can be done!

Good Luck!

wanderer20001us is right. Take the EIT and get it out of the way as soon as possible. Then get your resume and cover letter together, determine the MEP or full service firms in your area and contact their office managers. You can also go online to Americas Job Bank, monster.com, careerbuilder, hotjobs.com, etc, to find out what firms are hiring in your area. If you go to work for contractors, unless they do design-build projects or are just huge companies like Jacobs, Fluor, Parsons, etc, you could just whind up sitting around generating RFI's. A word to the wise regarding the MEP side of the fence. Your no.1 mission will always be make your due dates. Because if you don't, there are some architects that seem to view their consultants as the bottom of the food chain and could put the heat on if you don't issue your drawings on time. It gets even harder when you can't finish your design until mechanical and plumbing are done with theirs. And there is always going to be the chance of owner generated changes in scope just before the due date to make things interesting. So it doesn't hurt to have a good paper trail. A PE warranty's the system design which must ensure public safety (code compliance). When issues get into that area, that is probably the most common time you can put your foot down.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.