bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: how should should they be sealed conduits entering a fr

On the warm side.

jerryb

We normally call for a Crouse Hinds ES fitting. These are listed for explosion proof and water tight. They would be located outside the freezer just before it penetrates the wall.

Article 300.7 (handbook) states "A circulation of air can be prevented by sealing the raceway with a suitable pliable compound at a conduit body or junction box, usually installed in the raceway before it enters the colder section. Special sealing fittings, such as those used in hazardous (classified) locations, are not necessary."

jgriffin

I've seen where they used weatherproof boxes, back to back and sealed off the nipples with ductseal after the conductors were installed. AHJ passed it.

iwire

Staff member

A "C" type conduit body stuffed with duct seal works great and is easily cleaned out if needed to add / change wires.

drmoody

I agree with the above sealing method. Note: I have done several installations where the health department required the conduit to be ?stood off? of the inside freezer wall to help prevent mold development between the conduit and the wall.

Brian

mhulbert

What did you use to do this? Are cast steel one hole clamps with the "clamp-backs" enough space? What about a "minerallarc" clamp?

just Curious,
Mike

Originally posted by drmoody:
...Note: I have done several installations where the health department required the conduit to be ?stood off? of the inside freezer wall Brian

noxx

Mike, "Clamp-backs" or as we call them here "mall-condition" straps are desigined expressly to meet the code requirements for areas where the walls will be wet either from condensation or from washing, so yes I assume they offer the required spacing.

ccha9219

We use bell boxes and duct seal to get into the cooler, once inside as long as you block all outside air, we use set screw fittings without a problem. They do make use minerlac straps to hold the conduit off the wall for cleaning purposes

Status
Not open for further replies.