How should I approach this

Status
Not open for further replies.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I have a general contractor approached me several months ago about a project. He’s out of state and he couldn’t find anyone local EC.? I felt bad for him, I was just gonna do a time and material and I gave him a decent rate. In my contract I stated rewiring the house and The end date was July 1 for the contract. I got my inspection it was approved. After that he adds Low voltage on me, I didn’t really care.
Now he asked me to go to the local security system Contractor, buy any materials that the gentleman needs and install it and the security contractor hook up with the end system. he stated so He save some money. Now that kind of got to me I’m not his little mole, and that wasn’t in my contract. I stated rewiring and I base that on the drawings that I was submitted has no low-voltage that was added later and has no security.

I’m thinking after I give him my bill and he pays me to tell him exactly how I feel and maybe not come back and do the finish work I don’t.

If the spelling is bad and grammar sorry I’m working on that job as we speak

Extras and change orders can be very lucrative. Send him a new price for the rest of the work or let him know that it’s in addition to the original work and let him sign something that shows he agrees to pay the additional charges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
I wouldn't touch any extras unless he is up to date on all that he owes you. I had a GC lead me by the nose........once and only once. Work was slow and he kept offering me more work before he had paid for what was completed.

The old carrot and the stick

480sparky

He wants to play you like a violin. Don't allow it.

Invoice for the work done. No payment... work stops. Extras are not part of the agreement and will be priced separately.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
So I’m About 90% done with the low-voltage. I still have to put a subpanel in though that is part of the original agreement. So maybe I’ll address it As my funds are tight I have to get paid ASAP to continue Work. Then proceed from there

So I’m About 90% done with the low-voltage. I still have to put a subpanel in though that is part of the original agreement. So maybe I’ll address it As my funds are tight I have to get paid ASAP to continue Work. Then proceed from there

Definitely complete your original scope first otherwise he may try to fight you on the hours spent to do the extras. Negotiations about the terms and discussions regarding the new work is all time taken away from your previously quoted work and should be billed for as part of the extra. (I’m my opinion)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another C10

Electrical Contractor 1987 - present
Occupation
Electrician NEC 2020
Be careful, I would start collecting your case in the event he flakes, Lets presume he is legit, not to worry you but ... ya never know. its always best to lock in a deposit with those circumstances, being that he's out of town, that way you have an acknowledgement to a financial arrangement.

Then as others stated , after the check clears start with the other tasks. Wish you well on that one ..
Yes in California an electrician can do camera's, alarms .data etc .. guess they figure we cant do that much more harm below 120 v .. as long as one doesn't go in over they're head and embarrass themselves with the lack of knowledge or system functionality.

Status
Not open for further replies.