How many of you "Sell" electric???.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

JacksonburgFarmer

This was by far the most oddball request I have gotten yet......It was by fluke chance that I was even in the office at this time to take the call.

Lady calls, and asks "Sir, what do you charge for a kilowatt hour of electric?" "I have my Duke energy (one of local POCO's) here, and would like a quote from your company on supplying my electric to my house." :-? My response was that "Ma'am, we are a contractor, not a utility company. She then appologized, and said she was going to call DP&L (another local POCO) to get a quote from them????
IT took some convicing to get her to understand that contractors dont "sell the electric". She kept saying that since we install,service,maintain, that we should be able to sell her needed electric, by the watt, because she dosent need kilo watts, just regular watts......
Really makes me wonder about people.....it really does..l:rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I've gotten rate requests more than once, probably because my company name includes the words "Electric Co."

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I have had a few of these calls too.

Roger

480sparky

Maybe I should call my plumber up and ask what his water and sewer rates are.
smiley_emoticons_fred_blumenbeet.gif

Goofiest call I ever got was someone who wanted receptacles installed that don't leak electricity all over the carpet. Poor old woman thought static electricity was caused by leaky outlets.

growler

She kept saying that since we install,service,maintain, that we should be able to sell her needed electric, by the watt, because she dosent need kilo watts, just regular watts......

Are you sure you weren't being "Punk'd"? I'm not really talking about the TV show but I have friends that like to pull this sort of prank on people. They are very good because they will get their wives or girl friends to call so you won't recognize their voice.

charlietuna

There's good money to be made by installing sub metering systems in areas that allow it ! Utility rates factored into monthly office rent is usually low compared to the actual consumpsion..

macmikeman

sell her a photovoltaic system thats large enough to power her entire house

Yep, and put in a meter on it and charge her monthly for "watts" to boot. "Maa'm the intial installation charge, although somewhat large is to put all our receiving equipment on your roof that is necessary to pick up the energy waves from our factory. After that you pay us a monthly usage fee":D

ceb58

Goofiest call I ever got was someone who wanted receptacles installed that don't leak electricity all over the carpet. Poor old woman thought static electricity was caused by leaky outlets.

Maybe you should have went and bonded the carpet to the water line or driven a few grods in the living room:grin::grin:

satcom

Maybe I should call my plumber up and ask what his water and sewer rates are.
smiley_emoticons_fred_blumenbeet.gif

We get what appears to be a normal service call, when I get there, the first thing I notice is alum foil over every outlet in the house, then to the basement, and there is the load center all packed in foil, when I asked what everything was covered in foil, the owner said, " the electric leaks, that is why I called you, here; look at my electric bill"
I just wanted to find the nearest exit.

masterinbama

Not really related but funny anyhow. Me and a local inspector got on an elevator one day at a local high rise. The elevator stopped at the next floor and a lady got on. As the doors were closing she said "these things sure are slow today" In his most official voice the inspector said "that's because the nuclear plant is down and they are having to send electricity all the way from the dam." She said "oh I was wondering what was going on." It was all I could do to keep from laughing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDxg8z7iCQg

Status
Not open for further replies.