How is the stator resistance of a synchronous generator calculated (for application in short-circuit studies)?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Magic Gorge

Given a generator set data sheet, I've often used this info from SKM as a quick reference for the necessary inputs: https://www.skm.com/Synchronous_Generator_Input_Data.html

However, sometimes the given stator resistance (0.0023 ohms in that example) is not quantified in the same way. In the attached screenshot, the line-line stator resistance values are shown. I believe the high wye connection most resembles the low impedance condition when susceptible to high faults, however is there more to consider for this "stator resistance" value?

Attachments

• Ra-Gen.JPG
    Ra-Gen.JPG
    41.1 KB · Views: 12

paulengr

IEEE 112 gives the standard procedure for converting the data sheets into the equivalent circuit model. With induction motors/generators things are consistent enough that if it follows NEMA MG-1 you can estimate everything using a procedure in an IEEE article. But this doesn’t work with sync motors.

Julius Right

Occupation
Electrical Engineer Power Station Physical Design Retired
I'm sorry to disappoint you but this standard -IEEE 112- is not for synchronous generators but only for induction generators- as I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.