How is Load Shedding actually wired?

Status
Not open for further replies.

designer82

If I have an existing panelboard or switchboard and I now want to add a generator with a load controller, how is the wiring generally done?

I would think you need to run control wires to the individual load circuit breakers (at the panelboard or switchboard). However, breakers don't have a control override capability do they?
Is this done a different way, such as adding a contactors panel downstream of the breakers?
Or maybe replacing the old breakers with modern breakers that have "control override" type function?

Thank You

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If I have an existing panelboard or switchboard and I now want to add a generator with a load controller, how is the wiring generally done?

I would think you need to run control wires to the individual load circuit breakers (at the panelboard or switchboard). However, breakers don't have a control override capability do they?
Is this done a different way, such as adding a contactors panel downstream of the breakers?
Or maybe replacing the old breakers with modern breakers that have "control override" type function?

Thank You
Automatic load shedding is usually implemented only in an ATS scenario. It is done at the ATS panel with contactors using some pickup/dropout logic resident in the controller. If you have a manual transfer switch, you do the "load control" by flipping the breakers at the manual transfer panel.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
What size panel, load and generator are we talking about. For small residential stuff generic makes modules like this. This is a simple as it gets.

Fred B

Occupation
Electrician
SMM's can be used for load management whether with ATS or MTS. I wouldn't hesitate to use one with a manual switch on a whole house switch as a means to either lockout a load or to mitigate overload when on generator power. It would make it easier for HO to run a gen with a MTS and not to have to personally monitor loads. I would say the common HO is not aware enough to be able to control loads manually. If you as an electrician set up a load panel vs a whole house MTS, you would have calculated loads and set up so as to not overload the gen, and then I agree that a SMM would be unnecessary.
I would think you need to run control wires to the individual load circuit breakers (at the panelboard or switchboard).
The new SMM (Smart Management Module) don't require seperate control wires, it views/monitors frequency of the power to determine Gen operation.
Loads are attached inline with the SMM after the breaker.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer

Thank You
this is a loaded question-I think it makes sense if you describe the application a bit more. ie what type of facilities and what type of loads are do you desire to control? which loads are a priority?

residence?
commercial?
retail?

you mention switchboard or panelboard. what would be appropriate for one premise may not be for another.

Status
Not open for further replies.