how far do you go

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjdh

Existing 50-year-old apartment house buildings. The service consists of a 200amp 120/240volt single phase mast to a 200amp main disconnects. The main disconnect feeds a 4-gang meter pack without branch breakers. Each meter feeds a separate 100amp-apartment panel. The apartment panel feeders are up to 60 feet long and consist of two #2 copper phase conductors insulated and one #2 copper grounded conductor bare in an emt raceway or an SE cable of the same conductor description. The apartment panels are bonded as service panels.

My question is, as the meter assemblies need replacement how far do we go on bringing the system up to current code.

bphgravity

Re: how far do you go

Your local AHJ will make that call for you. Each community has its own policy concerning existing installations. However in most cases, if a part of the system is effected by the part you are making changes to, that part will also be required to be made right if a hazard is created or a serious code issue is violated in the process.

In my opinion, you go as far as necessary to meet the scope of the NEC. I personally cannot walk away from a job with a life or property hazard still present.

charlie tuna

Re: how far do you go

i ran into this in south florida--required a thirty year inspection--very old strip mall. hadn't had an inspection in thirty years--zip cord-- and romex --violations everywhere!
i was glad i called a meeting with the inspector! i explained to him the shape of this building and he explained that this is one reason for this inspection because many times the cost of repair is greater than the value of the building! it rids the city of these old buildings and increases the tax base at the same time!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.