How do you trace concealed circuits without shutting the power off?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
For example, I went to a building and it had a switchboard with service switches. I wanted to know what service switch was dedicated for the PLP panel. The switchboard and the PLP panel is in the same room. All the conduits coming out of the service switches were encased in concrete so I wasn't able to trace anything. What techniques do you guys use?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
There are many "Circuit tracers" available on the market. They're not full proof but they are pretty reliable.

Roger

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
There are many "Circuit tracers" available on the market. They're not full proof but they are pretty reliable.

Roger
Just looked it up, holy cow, this will make my life a trillion times easier... which one do you recommend?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I've been retired for going on 6 years now so I'm not up to speed on all the new products but I remember Ideals and 3M's were my prefered choices.

Roger

Seven-Delta-FortyOne

Goin’ Down In Flames........
Occupation
EC and GC
If you are just trying to find the breaker, the Zircon is really good. Used it for 15 years or so and it’s great

The Ideal 959 is my next purchase. 👍

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I use Amprobe. It draws a pulse off the circuit, you can pull a single wire out of a bundle of 100 with 99.9 percent accuracy. But it costs a lot more than the other tracers such as Ideal or Greenlee. The other tracers inject a signal, which can bleed onto other wires, diminishing accuracy, but has a stronger signal strength for tracing thru concrete and dirt.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If you are just trying to find the breaker, the Zircon is really good. Used it for 15 years or so and it’s great

The Ideal 959 is my next purchase. 👍
Zircon’s work great for a cheaper tracer if used correctly, but a lot of guys do not read the instructions, and claim it doesn’t work when it’s user error, not the tracer.

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
If you have a general idea which it might be, or not too many conductors to check, you can use an old-school method:

Plug in a large-ish (150 watt) incandescent lightbulb, with an old-timey Xmas-light flasher. Check the suspected conductors with a clamp-on ammeter, looking for the one that's twitching* at the same rate your test lamp is flashing.

* Works best when the COA has an analog scale and needle. Rather difficult to discern with a digital COA.

Tainted

Occupation
Engineer (PE)
Interesting answers guys, thank you I'm gonna go with amprobe, looks simple to use. Company I work for is gonna pay for it so I don't really care about the price lol.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

garbo

For example, I went to a building and it had a switchboard with service switches. I wanted to know what service switch was dedicated for the PLP panel. The switchboard and the PLP panel is in the same room. All the conduits coming out of the service switches were encased in concrete so I wasn't able to trace anything. What techniques do you guys use?
At a large hospital that I retired from had to use a amprobe tracer especially where three 120 volt circuits were feed from a single neutral ( originating from a 120/208 volt three phase panel ) Contractor always purchased cheaper brands and would end up borrowing our tracers. They were rated for 120 to 277 volts . I used this to trace 480 volt circuits that were on a 277/480 volt system. Would tie one wire from tester to the neutral block and other to one of the 480 volt legs.

ggunn

PE (Electrical), NABCEP certified
Occupation
Electrical Engineer - Photovoltaic Systems
Or you could do what the guy who installed an outdoor outlet on an existing circuit for me did. He shorted line to neutral in an existing outlet on that circuit and went to the panel to look for the tripped breaker. :cautious:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Or you could do what the guy who installed an outdoor outlet on an existing circuit for me did. He shorted line to neutral in an existing outlet on that circuit and went to the panel to look for the tripped breaker. :cautious:
At least it's polarized. :sneaky:

1642968841918.png

Status
Not open for further replies.