How do I keep from being underbid by contractors who don't follow the specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
Y
You have not been involved with many larger projects have you? GC's like Turner, Bovis, and the likes scrutinize every aspect of the bids and on these projects the MEP group is constantly involved through out the project, sometimes on a daily basis. I have been on jobs where each part of the architect and MEP group had a QC person on the site everyday. As far as VE negotiating, it is done after all the contracts have been awarded and the owner is part of the process. Most jobs of this size have Architect, Owner, Contractor meetings weekly.

During AIA progress billings it is not uncommon to have to walk an MEP rep through the stored material and check off schedule of value items.

I know this is not typical of small to medium size jobs but on large projects it is pretty much the norm

Roger
Yes, you are definitely playing in a different sandbox then. Also, even smaller projects at Universities many school systems, hospitals, industrial complexes, etc.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Give it a shot...........tell us how it works out
I am not suggesting any attempt to cheat someone. Just read what the contract documents actually say and not what you think they say. Incidentally, most of the specs I deal with are for fairly small projects as another poster suggested. If the people at the top of the food chain take their specs seriously, they can enforce them. But that costs money and for a lot of smallish projects it is not that important.

Strathead

Occupation
I am not suggesting any attempt to cheat someone. Just read what the contract documents actually say and not what you think they say. Incidentally, most of the specs I deal with are for fairly small projects as another poster suggested. If the people at the top of the food chain take their specs seriously, they can enforce them. But that costs money and for a lot of smallish projects it is not that important.
I understand what you are saying but "not that important" is risky. The specs are generally a legally binding part of the contract. While you can usually cut corners on them without anyone being concerned, a cut corner is, in fact, a criminal act. Since speeding is also a criminal act, I am not meaning to be dramatic, just make sure you understand before you violate. Kind of like when (not if) you violate code.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired

I learned the hard way !

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

I learned the hard way !
Most of us do Mt

It takes time though, most of us come to the realization that those making the 'rules' are complicit, all about their back pocket

That prospective is challenged , when it comes down to our own back pocket....

~RJ~

mtnelect

Occupation
Have you heard of the Game Show "Name That Tune"? The bidding system is very similar to that. Congratulations you are the "Low Bidder". After filling a Mechanic Lien on a general contractor, it took me five years and five attorneys to win. After that I only dealt with the owner!

Buck Parrish

A GC sent me a set of plans for a store today. He asked me to bid. I'm reading through the specifications and I find lots of details about the specific type of expensive switches and receptacles they want. They also want oversized conductors and conduit. There were many other "more than minimum" items. All things that would raise the bid price significantly.

This got me thinking that I was wasting my time bidding because I know some other contractor won't read all the detailed specs, will assume he can use the minimum, and will underbid me and win. Sure, he will probably regret not reading these details later when he loses his shirt redoing all the work. But that doesn't help me win the bid. So how am I supposed to handle this situation?

I have found it is common for the specs to require bolt in breakers . But the EC uses snap in's with out any thing ever being said about it. I too am perplexed.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I have found it is common for the specs to require bolt in breakers . But the EC uses snap in's with out any thing ever being said about it. I too am perplexed.
Many of those specs are just stock write-ups by the architect, who hot them from an engineer.

The customer has no clue they're specific, the architect only included them to make it official, the engineer never sees it, and everyone goes on about their day.

But large retailers were mentioned previously, and they probably have someone working on those specs with a "why" in mind.

I've wired banks, restaurants, offices, dental offices, fitness centers, daycares, etc. and haven't found any of them who care too much.

Strathead

Occupation
How do you know the EC didn't offer a VE deduct to use plug-in vs bolt-in?
In my experience, this is a matter of the client. I tend to stick closely to the specs unless I a familiar with the customer structure. Even then I will often clarify in my bid, items that I know others will be bidding, like, compression vs set screw, aluminum feeders, MC vs EMT. But a lot of jobs are things like a commercial buildout for a known property management company that hires known engineers who use boilerplate specs ad don't really care how it is built. If you bid to their spec, you will not get the job. Don't forget though, take the plug in breakers. If the specs say breakers will be bolt-on then you better not bid Square D iLine, that is a violation of spec.

cdslotz

Boilerplate or not, I bid to spec in my base bid. I usually know my GC's and I will take the time to make a list of VE items to take to the customer. The GC's I have been bidding to for years. They know the electrical scope better than the EC's bidding. They can sniff out an omission or substitution in a heartbeat....if I tried to put one over on them, I would never get to bid them again

Strathead

Occupation
Boilerplate or not, I bid to spec in my base bid. I usually know my GC's and I will take the time to make a list of VE items to take to the customer. The GC's I have been bidding to for years. They know the electrical scope better than the EC's bidding. They can sniff out an omission or substitution in a heartbeat....if I tried to put one over on them, I would never get to bid them again
I guess it matters who you are bidding to and the project type. I do it both ways, but more often than not, I bid as you describe.

mtnelect

Occupation
I did hear that it wasn't there anymore and I think I had also heard it was going to be an Amazon center but that was a few years ago.
This discussion jogged my memory ... When I was just learning about biding. I bid on a small shopping center. The GC called me in to congratulate me on being the low bidder, then asked. Does your bid include the lighting ? I said the specs said not to include lighting because the tenants were not decided yet. He said the others did include the lighting, that's when I left !

Amps

Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Electrical, Security, Networks and Everything Else.
I agree that some contractors purposely bid less than what the specs require. And I know some companies bid at a loss hoping for lot of expensive change orders. Neither one of these appeals to me. They both sound too risky.

The plans were drawn up by an architect. Whether he drew them to the owners specifications or just put a lot of boilerplate in there, I don't know. I don't think the GC has any control over what the specs say. I think he has to abide by the specs unless he gets a release from the architect.

I could submit my bid with a statement that I'm not doing what the specs say to do, instead I'm bidding using the standard quality devices and minimal sized conduit and wire, but I just don't think that will fly. That would go beyond "value engineering" the bid.

I could submit my bid with a statement that I noticed a lot of "more than the minimum" requirements in the specs and I bid based on those, but I suspect the low bidder did not and maybe the GC should verify before accepting that bid. Maybe that will work, or maybe I'll insult the GC. IDK.

Doing these bids are very labor intensive. I hate wasting my time if I think the playing field is not level for all bidders. It's not like these big jobs pay more per hour. They don't. usually less. It just a big bunch of hours which is nice, but I could do a bunch of small jobs, get a higher $/hr, and do no bidding.
Last Fall I turned down a fairly large job mainly due to the owner being an egotistical big shot. When I met him for the first time he talked about everything he owned, all the projects he was doing, and that I could do all of his service work in addition to a renovation project in my town. He, his crew, and other subs were from 70 miles away. He had recently bought a 1950's two story building that had 4 stores on the main level and 4 rental apartments above that he was going to renovate. I asked him for plans, he said bid it by Code, as I walked through the site I overheard him and the HVAC guy from his area talking about mini splits in all the apartments. Code? My suspicions were that he wanted me since some of his commercial tenants who I worked for referred me and I knew the local inspectors in the town. This job would have consumed all of my time, and communication with him would be difficult, as he answered my emails with one word answers and a pdf "plan" that had no electric on it. I turned down the offer to bid it and he was pissed. I was glad I did. In the meantime I did about 10 different new customer jobs, and I retained 10 new customers, who could refer me to even more.

brian john

I saw this all the time, we would bid a job for acceptance testing to an EC, we would not hear back until around the time of the final walk-through. Typically the conservation went. " We overlooked the acceptance testing (sure they did) now we need this completing by next week (3-4 weeks of work). But your number is way over our budget can you cut your cost and finish on OT on weekends as the building is starting to be occupied."

Our response
We Can't work OT and cut the cost actually the cost will go up, we can't complete your job until we catch up with existing projects, sorry. Then in about a month, they would call back crying about how the owner's engineers or GC were all over them to complete the testing. Usually, they got the spec cut down, we'd do the job and wait until their next ''Oh we forgot". These jobs were always money makers but always a PIA

Status
Not open for further replies.