House with No Ground

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky Manresa

I just got a service call about flickering lights.Seems that alot of the lights in the house flicker.I looked in the panel to make sure neutral was good and the lady only had a utility ground.no water or ground rods. Also the service outside, the neutal bare wire was resting on the gutter. The connection may be loose although i didnt go that far into troubleshooting.the service is old and in rough shape.anyone else ever come across flickering lights thru an entire house? Can not having a ground cause it?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I just got a service call about flickering lights.Seems that alot of the lights in the house flicker.I looked in the panel to make sure neutral was good and the lady only had a utility ground.no water or ground rods. Also the service outside, the neutal bare wire was resting on the gutter. The connection may be loose although i didnt go that far into troubleshooting.the service is old and in rough shape.anyone else ever come across flickering lights thru an entire house? Can not having a ground cause it?
The problem is not due to not having a GES, it is most likely a loose connection on the line side of the service disconnect

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with Roger the GES probably has nothing to do with it. Loose connections ahead of the service can be hard to find especially when the meter is locked by the POCO.

Status
Not open for further replies.