Hot Tub Pump Motor Troubleshooting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having issues with my hot tub pump.
I have a Flo-Master XP2 pump. Its a 240V pump, with 2 windings, one for low speed operation and one for high. the terminals are L-low speed, C- common, H for high speed. When I went to turn on my GFI after it was off for the summer I could not turn it on, it would trip right away. When I unplugged the pump from the control box, I can now turn on my GFI and the display on the tub reads "FLO". I took the pump motor apart, it was full of white crud and white paste. Cleaned it all and also found that the start capacitor is bad, but did not think a bad capacitor would cause it to trip. I then removed the start capacitor and insulated the two wires and plugged the pump back in to the controls including the ground strap. GFI still kicks out. Removed pump again, I measured resistance between all the motor terminals. 10 ohms between C & H terminals, 10 ohms between C & L terminals, 0 ohms between L & H terminals, and about 220-250 KOhms between each of the LCH terminals and ground. Looks like the resistance to ground is too low.. Is this low enough to trip a GFI?
The bearings are fine and shaft turns freely.
I plan to take the motor apart again and use a general cleaner on the windings, then spray it down really well with water and put in an oven at low temp. ~70C to dry for few hrs.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I just spent $500 on a new hot tub cover, and don't want to spend another $300 on a new motor.
Kind regards, Michal.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. However, if you are not an electrician or an electrical contractor, then we are not permitted to help you perform your own electrical installation work.

If I have misjudged the situation, if for example this project is related to your work, then send me a Private Message. If you can show me that I am wrong, and that you are a licensed electrician (or at least a licensed apprentice), then I will reopen your post, and offer an apology for the delay and inconvenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.