hot tub disconnect in sight of people in the tub ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
What does "in sight" mean in 680.13 for hot tub disconnect mean ? I usually locate it so anyone in the tub can see it. This customer wants it low and people would not be able to see it while sitting in the tub. Thanks !

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Steven is this an emergency switch or a motor disconnect. If this is a dwelling there is no emo necessary however the disconnect for the tub motor can be within 50' and within sight from the motor compartment.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
680.13 is the maintenance disconnect. Not necessary for people in the pool to see but they probably will be able to see it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
It's a 50 amp gfci disconnect breaker panel for the hot tub, residential.

Then you got the answer....

In Sight From (Within Sight From, Within Sight). Where this
Code specifies that one equipment shall be “in sight from,”
“within sight from,” or “within sight of,” and so forth, another
equipment, the specified equipment is to be visible and not
more than 15 m (50 ft) distant from the other.

Stevenfyeager

Occupation
electrical contractor
I probably always put it in sight of people sitting in the tub because I thought the in sight phrase was for safety. My instructor told us years ago that more people died in hot tubs because of their long hair than electrical shock. (The water intake would pull hair down and drown a girl) Either way, I just assumed it was necessary for everyone in the tub to be able to see the disconnect in case they had to shut everything off.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I probably always put it in sight of people sitting in the tub because I thought the in sight phrase was for safety. My instructor told us years ago that more people died in hot tubs because of their long hair than electrical shock. (The water intake would pull hair down and drown a girl) Either way, I just assumed it was necessary for everyone in the tub to be able to see the disconnect in case they had to shut everything off.

Well that is true for other than single family dwelling but that is not the maintenance disconnect

680.41 Emergency Switch for Spas and Hot Tubs. A clearly
labeled emergency shutoff or control switch for the purpose of
stopping the motor(s) that provides power to the recirculation
system and jet system shall be installed at a point readily accessible
to the users and not less than 1.5 m (5 ft) away, adjacent
to, and within sight of the spa or hot tub. This requirement
shall not apply to one-family dwellings.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
A maintenance disconnect is required and it needs to follow the definition in post #5 meaning that the equipment and the disconnect are insight of each other.

Status
Not open for further replies.