Hospital IPS Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sajid khan

As per NEC Article 517.60 (A)(6) FPN NO.1: It is desirable to limit the size of the isolation transformer to 10kVA or less.

As per IEC 60364-7-710:2002 Section 512.6 the rated output of transformer shall not be less than 0.5kVA and shall not exceed 10kVA.

Both NEC and IEC limit the size up to 10kVA only while the renowned supplier BENDER, HSI, ABB etc are manufacturing the rating of IPS Greator than 10kVA say 15kVA. How they are still code compliant?

Another question, Can we feed Multiple rooms say ICUs etc from a single IPS of rating 10kVA (ICUs load are approximately 2.5 to3kVA ) and we can feed 3 or 4 ICUs. Will there be any code restriction regarding multiple feed from a single IPS?

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
I don't know about the IEC, but the NEC fine print note is a suggestion, not a hard and fast rule. Where I'm at, I don't know any adopted codes that require compliance with the code.

But, if you aren't comfortable with the 15KVA, then don't spec it.

I have specified 3 IPS's for a single room before. That has the same total load capacity as 2 smaller panels, but having 3 panels reduces the leakage current on each panel.

And for your second question, no. In general, for a critical care area, the IPS is dedicated to a single room. Specialized IPS's that feed specific receptacles (like Xray equipment) can serve more than one room, but the IPS that supplies general receptacles should be dedicated to that room.

Sajid khan

Thanks Steve. Regarding Second point, we usually do not feed General recepticle of special care unit instead feed only sockets of the equipment that has Contact with the patient body e.g Ventilator. The same applies as u stated that multiple Xray can be fed from a single IPS. Isn't it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.