Hospital conduits missing grounding conductors.

Status
Not open for further replies.

scrino

A hospitals existing distribution system utilizes the conduit only as the grounding means. No conductor grounds in branch circuits and panel feeders. If entire patient care area and patient sleeping area are being renovated with new branch circuits and grounding conductors back to the existing panel (in which a ground bar is added), do I need to add a ground conductor with the existing panel feeders?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Re: Hospital conduits missing grounding conductors.

No, for normal power, but it is a good idea.

For Critical Power see 517.19(D).

Roger

caj1962

IMO an insulated grounding conductor is required in a oatient care area by the following code

517.13 Grounding of Receptacles and Fixed Electric Equipment in Patient Care Areas.
Wiring in patient care areas shall comply with 517.13(A) and (B).
(A) Wiring Methods. All branch circuits serving patient care areas shall be provided with a ground path for fault current by installation in a metal raceway system, or a cable armor or sheath assembly. The metal raceway system, or cable armor, or sheath assembly, shall itself qualify as an equipment grounding return path in accordance with 250.118. Type AC, Type MC, Type MI cables shall have an outer metal armor or sheath that is identified as an acceptable grounding return path.
(B) Insulated Equipment Grounding Conductor. In an area used for patient care, the grounding terminals of all receptacles and all non?current-carrying conductive surfaces of fixed electric equipment likely to become energized that are subject to personal contact, operating at over 100 volts, shall be grounded by an insulated copper conductor. The grounding conductor shall be sized in accordance with Table 250.122 and installed in metal raceways or metal-clad cables with the branch-circuit conductors supplying these receptacles or fixed equipment.
Exception No. 1: Metal faceplates shall be permitted to be grounded by means of a metal mounting screw(s) securing the faceplate to a grounded outlet box or grounded wiring device.
Exception No. 2: Luminaires (light fixtures) more than 2.3 m (7? ft) above the floor and switches located outside of the patient vicinity shall not be required to be grounded by an insulated equipment grounding conductor.

scrino

CAJ1962. I also agree with what you've quoted however it doesnt answer my question. How far back are you required to install the grounding conductor. The panel feeders come are fed from a distribution panel which in turn is on the secondary of a 480:208 stepdown xfmr. Im not sure what the NEC's intent is. How far back in the distribution system do I have to install the grounding conductor?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

No farther on the normal but you need to read 517.19(D)

There is more information in NFPA 99 but it doesn't require any more than the NEC in this case. However the ground testing criteria in chapter 4 of NFPA 99 will have to be met.

Caj's post is dealing with "branch circuits" not "feeders".

Roger

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Scrino, since the NEC is a minimum and you are the engineer, and will eventually put your seal on these plans, why would you hesitate to require an EGC be added to these feeders?

Roger

scrino

Thanks Roger. I understand the NEC isnt a design manual and in any new construction i do put EGC however the distribution panel is on the eighth floor that feeds the two branch panel on the third floor. Its going to be quite difficult to install an EGC in a existing feeder and conduit run. Thats all.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Scrino, There is really no problem in leaving this the way it is, although I would require verification that the conduit continuity is still in tact.

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.