Hospital Code Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onitram

Where in the NEC ? Troughout the hospital on selected location when it was built there is and was light fixtures,
very few now!!they are connected to the life and safety branch . Owner,s of the hospital one of them, comes early in the morning and ask why few lights are on, then ask us to put on the normal power source since the lights fixtures dont have toggle switch to turn it of at night!! I need to know where in the nec states the quantity of light fixtures is needed per area in patient care etc. The reason is that we are going in september change our main switch gear 2500 amps at 480 . It will take 4 days . we will run
our new generator 937 kva at 277/480 and have one extra hooked up and ready to go if needed.

The hospital will kind dark and difficult for personel to take care of patients. the owner wants to save few bucks

Thanks Onitram

bdarnell

Occupation
Retired Engineer
I don't think that the NEC specifically addresses illumination levels for general lighting. It does address egress illumination levels as does NFPA 101. You might check NFPA 99 for lighting levels. I don't have a copy here, so I'm not sure what's in it as far as lighting goes.

Hope that helps some.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
It's usually the International Building Code or Uniform Building Code that regulates the amount of egress lighting in the corridorrs. One states 1 footcandle minimum, and the other states 1 FC average.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.