Hopefully this will kill AFCI

Status
Not open for further replies.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Doesn't seem to effect the AFCI requirement only allows occupancy until the breakers are available.

norcal

How likely do you think they get rid of the cash cow that AFCI's are? :eek: I say no chance, this is a reply to the thread title.

kwired

Electron manager
"Temporary measures for electrical equipment shortages (AFCI breakers) due to Covid-19"
I had a rather large order (for me) for project(s) from Square D. No AFCI's in the order as it was for non dwelling applications. But still had items that took months to receive.

Did not relieve code requirements just because they weren't available. Might have been situations where something temporary could be used in place if the item supplied needed to be in use. Thankfully it didn't really come down to any of that on these projects.

I did have one other case I recall of needing a 40 amp breaker for an oven. Nobody had one. I did already have some 30 amp breakers and used one of those until the 40 finally arrived. As I suspected it never caused any troubles running that oven on the 30 amp breaker.

kwired

Electron manager
They’ll make you buy breakers you don’t need , only to be replaced with the AF.
probably wise to order them early so that hopefully you have them when needed. I realize this may not help so much with some small jobs, but if say wiring a new house, if you ordered what you needed early on you may have them by the time you actually need them. Otherwise you just get put at the back end of the backorder list when you finally do order them.

ramsy

Roger Ruhle dba NoFixNoPay
Occupation
Service Electrician 2020 NEC
Standard breakers already provide AFCI protection. You don't need semi conductors, that is a urban legend.
STD breakers don't see propagating wave forms from all directions.

A solitary Leviton AFCI outlet, per 406.4D4, typically trips when Plug-on breakers start burning up a bus stab, so critical maintenace can avoid further destruction.

Panel flippers want to replace the box, wont pay for skilled talent, and have financial incentive to let it burn down.

Status
Not open for further replies.