Hoover unmarker 7 lead motor

Status
Not open for further replies.

henrylr

Occupation
retired manufacturing engineer
Hi all,

I have a Hoover 7 lead 115/230 volt single phase motor and the motor wiring diagram on junction box cover shows the wiring diagram by wire colors. The leads on my motor are unmarked and actual wires are shades of black or red so they don’t match diagram colors.
So I used a multi meter to determine what wires have continuity and those that don’t and the result was one group of three wires and one group of two wires have continuity and two wires have no continuity to anything? And all 7 wires have no continuity to the motor frame. Is that how a 7 lead motor is configured?

Thanks,
henrylr

D

Dell3c

Hi all,

I have a Hoover 7 lead 115/230 volt single phase motor and the motor wiring diagram on junction box cover shows the wiring diagram by wire colors. The leads on my motor are unmarked and actual wires are shades of black or red so they don’t match diagram colors.
So I used a multi meter to determine what wires have continuity and those that don’t and the result was one group of three wires and one group of two wires have continuity and two wires have no continuity to anything? And all 7 wires have no continuity to the motor frame. Is that how a 7 lead motor is configured?

Thanks,
henrylr
I'm going take stab @ this & hope it helps.. By what you provided in above, your motor is currently tapped for 230V.
Red (single conductor) is Line 1 (P1 lead)
Black (single conductor) is Line 2 (T4 lead)
Leads (P2, T8) tied together.
Leads (T2, T3, T5) tied together.. motor wiring for counter clockwise rotation.

clockwise motor rotation wiring.
Red (single conductor) L1 (P1 lead)
Black (single conductor) L2(T4 lead)
Leads (P2,T5) tied together
Leads (T2, T3, T8) tied together.

Hope this helps & safe day @ in field.. Thanx Larry (my typo mistake/ corrected)

Last edited by a moderator:

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Red (single conductor) is Line 1 (P1 lead)
Black (single conductor) is Line 2 (T4 lead)
Leads (P2, T5) tied together.
Leads (T2, T3, T5) tied together.. motor wiring for counter clockwise rotation.

clockwise motor rotation wiring.
Red (single conductor) L1 (P1 lead)
Black (single conductor) L2(T4 lead)
Leads (P2,T5) tied together
Leads (T2, T3, T8) tied together.
You have T5 twice in the upper description; one of them should say T8.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum Rules.

This site is designed for:
  • Contractors
  • Electricians
  • Engineers
  • Inspectors
  • Instructors
  • Other electrically related individuals

* This NEC Forum is for those in the electrical and related industries. Questions of a "How-To" nature by persons not involved in the electrical industry will be removed without notice.
If you feel this action to be in error, feel free to contact me via PM to explain.

PS: Although you can probably be qualified to post here, the problem is that we cannot allow DIY postings, as it appears this is because you are asking about a household appliance.

Status
Not open for further replies.