Home office business/ light commercial UPS system recommendation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knuckle Dragger

Master Electrician Electrical Contractor 01752
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Hey All,
I have a customer who just texted me. He wants a UPS system for home office. He has about seven monitors and at least four towers.
Do you have any experience with them and what do you recommend and not recommend?

Thank you!

gar

Occupation
EE
210802-2019 EDT

What he needs is very much dependent upon what he really needs.

Must he be totally operational during a power outage with all of his equipment. Or does he just not want to have to reboot. Or maybe to avoid loss of most recently entered data,

If computers are laptops with internal batteries, then no need for any short time backup power.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
I have both Eaton and APC. Eaton is connected to computer, APC to server, and for both, they signal computer when on UPS and battery is low to shut down computerwnich is a feature to look for.

Knuckle Dragger

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
210802-2019 EDT

What he needs is very much dependent upon what he really needs.

Must he be totally operational during a power outage with all of his equipment. Or does he just not want to have to reboot. Or maybe to avoid loss of most recently entered data,

If computers are laptops with internal batteries, then no need for any short time backup power.

I understood it as he wants to be totally operational for a few hours.
We're talking about desk tops with towers/ router/ modem.
that is correct laptops have short term battery back up.

Knuckle Dragger

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
A "few hours" is a long time for a UPS; usually they're sized for 15-30 minutes. You can get battery extension packs for APC, and probably others, but that's more $$.
I agree it definitely is. I first recommended battery backup with a genset ATS set up. I guess he wants to compare prices on his options.

Status
Not open for further replies.