home inspection report=1949 Home NOT Grounded.

Status
Not open for further replies.

pqpro

A recep tester was used on a polarized recepticle, and was one of many hits needed corrective action listed on the con. report.
Is there any articles that cover this issue?

Paul

ron

Re: home inspection report=1949 Home NOT Grounded.

No surprise that this older home is not grounded. It was not required at that time and is not required to be upgraded to a grounded system unless there are renovations.
There are NEC articles that cover the conversion to a three prong receptacle if that it what you are interested in.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Easiest, best and safest solution is to install GFCI recptacles. Or a combo AFCI/GFCI circuit breaker. Beware of the plug in testers, they are not always 100% accurate. There are better ones, but cost much more.

karl riley

Tom, I will sneak in a question about testers here. Mt SureTest Circuit Analyzer (cost about $500 I think) will sometimes cause a GFI to trip just be plugging it in. Any explanation?

Karl

bennie

Esteemed Member

Has there been many electrocutions in this home?

iwire

Staff member

I just clicked on the repeat of this thread and got this response.

FYI
You have requested a topic that does not exist!

? Please use your browser's back button to return.
But it has to exist, I just clicked on it! :D

[ August 27, 2003, 07:29 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

luke warmwater

Bob, I've never received that message by clicking on any thread on this forum. Todd

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

Karl, what I understand is the only way to test a GFCI is with the its test button. The button leaks a bit of current hot to neutral. Some of the other testers leak a bit of current hot to ground. Yours must cause a leakage to ground. its it all GFCI's or just some? perhaps it happens with ones that have around 5 mA leakage, your tester pushes it to 6 mA... and it trips.

iwire

Staff member

as you see, Paul hasn't been here since June.

Wooooooooo!!!!!! :D

Roger
Where does the time go? :D

Bob

[ August 27, 2003, 08:06 PM: Message edited by: iwire ]

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Tom, we would have to becarefull installing AFCI/GFCI combo breakers. The circuits serving smoke detectors could not use the GFCI version per NFPA 72.

Roger

karl riley

Tom, the SureTest has a GFI testing feature. It will tell you the exact milliamps that the GFI tripped on. But on some GFIs, I can't even get to that feature because it trips before any buttons are pressed. Probably only someone who uses one of these testers would be familiar with this.

Karl

bill addiss

Karl,

I have a SureTest too. I don't think it's the same model but I had the same problem with tripping GFCIs.

I had gotten it as a perk and didn't really get much chance to give it much use, but it also seemed to be in "Load" Mode without pressing any buttons. (Sparking when plugged in). I contacted the person I got it from and he gave me the number of someone at Ideal that said they knew what was going on. I never got to talk to them though and haven't tried using it since, but maybe there is a simple answer.

Bill

pqpro

Originally posted by bennie:
Has there been many electrocutions in this home?
To the best of my knowledge Bennie no one has yet to be electrocuted in this 1949 house.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Glad to hear that, I once wired houses with ungrounded romex. :roll:

pqpro

Originally posted by ron:
2 prong recept replacements are covered by 406.3(D) and 250.130(C)
Thank you Ron most appreciated, Paul

Status
Not open for further replies.