home generators

Status
Not open for further replies.

guschash

When installing a home generator , and you put an automatic transfer switch in , does the switch because the first disconnect . If so then you need four wires to lighting panel and neutrals and grounds need to be separated. if where in code it, Article702 or Art. 445.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
IMO the best design is to use a service rated transfer switch. Everything after that becomes a feeder which means you'll need a 4-wires to the panel. GEC's will also land in the ATS.

winnie

Occupation
Electric motor research
It isn't the transfer switch that triggers the need for separate ground and neutral.

Rather it is the fact that the transfer switch is also functioning as the main panel/ service disconnect.

I've seen 200A panels with spaces for 42 breakers and built in automatic transfer hardware. These were the service disconnect, transfer switch, and breaker panel all rolled into one, and had a common ground/ neutral bus like an ordinary main panel.

Jon

DrSparks

The Everlasting Know-it-all!
Occupation
Master Electrician and General Contractor
I hate the idea of a transfer switch with a solenoid actuated 2P2T switch on the line side of the main breaker. No OCPD. Could blow up some day.

Sent from my BE2028 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.