Home distribution panel in bathroom (W.C.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alterrex

I see the provisions in ART 312 concerning installation of enclosures in wet locations. Can anyone specifically cite NEC article forbidding/ permitting the installation of a 120/240 Distribution Panel in a location that is not now a bathroom but future renovation may place the area in a bathroom?

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: Home distribution panel in bathroom (W.C.)

Does anyone know why a panel is a problem in a bathroom?

ryan_618

Good morning Bennie.

I've been trying to figure that out, but I'm afraid I can't. As you know, they are permitted on commercial occupancies, but working clearance often becomes an issue with grab bars and other accessibility requirements.

Of course, if its in the shower I could see a problem:
shower&panel550.jpg

Edited to inslude photo

[ March 01, 2004, 10:33 AM: Message edited by: ryan_618 ]

mclain

Bennie
I can see one problem. You once mentioned sticking a hot wire somewhere it was uncomfortable and walking around your bathroom and touching everything and not getting shocked. If that panel box was in your bathroom and you touched it the wire would become quite uncomfortable.

Don McLain

bennie

Esteemed Member

Ryan and Don: That is a classic photograph. At least the cover appears clean.

I would never want a panel in my bathroom, but I really do not see any problem when the panels can be outdoors.

mclain

Bennie
I see what you are talking about. The only thing I can think of is that sooner or later someone would stand in a tub of water and open the panel cover to reset a breaker or uses the shower to wash off the breakers. I once saw a galley hand wash out a 480-volt oven with a water hose. He only did it once, but once was enough.

Don McLain

A

a.wayne3@verizon.net

Original post had a WC in it .A water closet ?? toilet in there,if so has anyone seen a water closet in anything but a bathroom if its in the bathroom NO !!!!!!

pierre

The NEC permits panels in commercial bathrooms, but not in residential bathrooms. The reason they are not permitted in residential bathrooms, is the moisture that is generally generated by the shower. In some bathrooms, the moisture from a shower can be excessive and more than once a day - as I witness with 3 daughters :eek:

Pierre

Status
Not open for further replies.