History of 600/347v?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
More efficient. A transformer every couple of homes is impractical energy wise.
Interesting point.
I consider anything about 220/240 off topic as, we have covered that before in our 220/127 and 416/240 volt threads :)
I am mostly interested some history of why Canada has never used 480 Volts as a standard voltage for electrical service from a utility to a customer.
For example when sizing a CT cabinet for Toronto Hydro (torontohydro.com) they don't even have 480 Volt size cabinet:
toronto_hydro_ct_sizing.png

I found where you can search old issues of 'Electrical World', and in the early 1900's it seems 550 volts was super common in AC and DC, but not yet 480 so perhaps the question should by why did the US ditch 600V and switch to 480 :unsure:

tortuga

Code Historian
Occupation
Electrical Design
I just looked up BC hydro's C.T meter specs, and they will provide 480 if the customer provides the transformers:
bc_hydro.png

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
Interesting point.
I consider anything about 220/240 off topic as, we have covered that before in our 220/127 and 416/240 volt threads :)
I am mostly interested some history of why Canada has never used 480 Volts as a standard voltage for electrical service from a utility to a customer.
For example when sizing a CT cabinet for Toronto Hydro (torontohydro.com) they don't even have 480 Volt size cabinet:
View attachment 2554020

I found where you can search old issues of 'Electrical World', and in the early 1900's it seems 550 volts was super common in AC and DC, but not yet 480 so perhaps the question should by why did the US ditch 600V and switch to 480 :unsure:

I'm even more interested why 240/416 was used in Canada, and why it now appears to be falling to the way side 😮

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
So why did THEY change “back in the day”?

It has to do more with standardizing to neighbors, convenience and what’s available rather than any real hard and fast answer.

our neighbors use 110-120. Canada, Mexico, Belize, Cuba, the islands...Brazil is a mix...

Europe is more 220 after they standardized for convenience. Not because one is necessarily better.

admittedly, if your stringing wire through a neighborhood at 220 vs 120 then 220 is better. Some places do that. VD is rampant in those areas..(...wait for it...)

where we have transformers about every house or couple of houses it isn’t a big deal.

230 is on order of magnitude better, safer and more efficient than 120. 120 offers zero advantages. Only negatives. Which is why I did away with it where I could 😁😎(y)

Status
Not open for further replies.