High wattage LED lights dimmer issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sam17

New User
Occupation
Electrician
Hello,

I have a little bit of a lighting issue. I currently have 9 18watt led pot lights which are 8 inches wide. I am unable to find an acceptable dimmer for it, the problem is that I need a 4 way dimmer which can handle 162watts. I have one switch on the main floor, and two on the second as the second floor is split into a Y, so one on each side. Money is not an issue as i have been unable to find a solution for the past few days. I am ok with having one dimmer on the main floor and two standard toggle switches on the second however a 4 way dimmer is what I need first. Please advise,

thanks,
Sam

gar

Occupation
EE
211025-2400n EDT

Get a suitable negative coefficient thermistor and put that in series with the load. That will grossly reduce inrush current such that any ordinary dimmer will work. But get a Lutron dimmer that requires a neutral connection. This type of dimmer will work even with very low load currents. I might also suggest you might need the correct CREE LED bulbs.

You have to correctly size the thermistor to your load current.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I have never heard of a 4 way dimmer, only 3-way to be used at one of the ends of the run whether at the feed end or switch leg end.
And Lutron has a high wattage led dimmer for 250 watts.

gar

Occupation
EE
211026-0810 EDT

Something is wrong in my comment. Should read ---
Thus, peak inrush current at 170 volts would be about 12 A.

The 2 A possibly was meant to be 90 degrees. Or possibly it had something to do with the expected steady state load of the LEDs.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Legrand RH703PTU is 3-way capable and rated for 450W LED. It is expensive, but it is capable of ELV/reverse phase as well and some LED ballast performs better or noise level drops to much acceptable level when set to reverse. Not very many dimmers have F/R options.

Status
Not open for further replies.