High wattage LED dimmer needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a situation where a business would like strings of existing LED festoon lights to be on a dimmer. There are too many for the standard 150 watt led limits on a 600 watt dimmer. The LED load is between 400 and 500 watts. Anyone know know of a high watt LED dimmer that would work in this situation?

Thanks.

synchro

Occupation
EE
On page 2 of the following document the Leviton AWSMT-MCW is spec'd for a 750W LED load. It supports magnetic low voltage transformers and so it's a forward-phase controlled dimmer using a triac. I have no experience with it and so I don't know how well it would perform with your festoon lights.

If you can split the strings into separate circuits then you could use more than one dimmer that's rated at a lower power level. I suspect that is what Larry is thinking with his question above.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
If you can split the strings into separate circuits then you could use more than one dimmer that's rated at a lower power level. I suspect that is what Larry is thinking with his question above.
It is, and simultaneously with wi-fi or wireless remote-capable dimmers, which would also allow for control from multiple locations.

Flicker Index

Occupation
Lights
Most of Eaton dimmers are rated for 300W LED LeGrand Tru-Universal Radiant is rated 450W

These are single space size. The Tru-Universal is a bit unique. You can choose between forward phase, reverse phase in addition to low-end and high-end trim but reading the manual is a must since it's not exactly intuitive to set it.

kwired

Electron manager
With high enough loading on the circuit is may be possible these lamps don't have same effects from line fluctuations as they do at low loading levels and may work better with standard incandescent dimmer in this case?

Mixing in a little bit of incandescent lamps or other resistance load on the dimmer load possibly helps as well?

Status
Not open for further replies.