High temp wire terminations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hossie

Occupation
Electrician
Hey Guys/Gals, I am looking into installing a high-temperature oven that uses 12 heating rods, the rods are wired WYE, 277V, 62 amps each, the manufacturer recommends 350°C wire for the termination. The feed wires come from 4 power regulators and are about 30-40 feet away.
My question
Can I run a TECK cable to a junction box and feed the oven from there, if so what would be the minimum length of high-temperature wire from the JB to the oven. I can't seem to find anything concrete in the CEC

Thanks for any input

Hossie

Normally, I'd expect the equipment to come with all of the specialized (high-temp) wire out to some cool-temp terminals. Not on this device?

I'd really be asking the manufacturer for some installation drawings. At that temperature... hard-to-find wire, especially in the size needed; thermo cycling on the terminals might mean a special terminal; how do you protect the wires at that temp?; etc. IMHO this is engineering the manufacturer should be doing.

Past that, run standard wire from the regulators to as close as possibly to the oven and transition on terminal blocks there to the high-temp wire.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
You mention CEC, we have a topic for the CEC, but the answer would be similar for the NEC or CEC. For the NEC, its more of a manufacturer question and not an NEC issue. The NEC and probably the CEC, covers the wiring to the oven.

Hossie

Occupation
Electrician
Because the oven is still in crates and I did not have construction drawings at our site, I didn't see the whole picture. The manufacture said there is a separate set of lugs in a junction box. All good. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.