High-Rise "Starter Pack" for Electrical Design?

Status
Not open for further replies.

theophilus88

Professional Architectural Engineer
Occupation
I am starting out on my first high-rise job and am finding it quite overwhelming. I was wondering if there is any sort of "starter pack"/ breakdown of all the different requirements that go into electrically designing a high-rise. Also, if anyone can speak from experience, what are some code sections that I should specifically look out for that you might have missed when first designing a high-rise? Thanks in advance!

Coppersmith

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Even when I'm installing a single new circuit in a single family home, at least 100 code sections are influencing the design. I can't imagine trying to design a high-rise without being intimately familiar with the NEC.

theophilus88

Occupation
Oh trust me, I am fairly familiar with the NEC :). The PE made sure of that. I'm just curious if there is any sort of diagram that organizes the requirements for a high-rise into one nice big readable picture. Also, as familiar as I am with the NEC, even the most seasoned engineers can miss something in the 1000 page code book. That's why I was wondering if there was any hidden code that someone wished they would have known before starting a highrise that could have saved them a lot of headache?

Oh trust me, I am fairly familiar with the NEC :). The PE made sure of that. I'm just curious if there is any sort of diagram that organizes the requirements for a high-rise into one nice big readable picture. Also, as familiar as I am with the NEC, even the most seasoned engineers can miss something in the 1000 page code book. That's why I was wondering if there was any hidden code that someone wished they would have known before starting a highrise that could have saved them a lot of headache?
There isn't really any specific code that applies to high rises. If I was doing it, I wouldn't have any fears whatsoever about "missing something". The part I would worry about is the load calcs and properly sizing of the major parts of the distribution.

Edit. Ok the other thing I would worry about is those non NEC things like fire alarm and life safety lighting design. Not sure If those are on you in this case.

ron

My first go to is the adopted building code in the jurisdiction the building is in, and if it is the IBC, go to Chapter 27 to see if you need an Emergency Generator (NEC Article 700) or a Standby Power Generator (NEC Article 701), and it will refer you to other sections for high rise too.

Strathead

Occupation
Electrician/Estimator/Project Manager/Superintendent
My first go to is the adopted building code in the jurisdiction the building is in, and if it is the IBC, go to Chapter 27 to see if you need an Emergency Generator (NEC Article 700) or a Standby Power Generator (NEC Article 701), and it will refer you to other sections for high rise too.
My thoughts are along this line. If you are familiar with the NEC then the only things that jump out at me from the code to watch out for are things like transitioning between floors, and the issues including voltage drop and cable support that the vertical height adds. 3 floors or 100 floors, not a lot of difference in codes. Most of the issues are building code issues, like fire alarm annunciation, fire separation, survivability, etc.

drktmplr12

Occupation
Electrical Engineer
recommend exploring what the implications are for life safety and fire alarm systems-depending on the occupation type. consider also engaging with the local fire department to see what requirements they may have. Hopefully, their requests are in your scope of work!

Rock86

Occupation
Electrical Engineer / Electrician
I am starting out on my first high-rise job and am finding it quite overwhelming. I was wondering if there is any sort of "starter pack"/ breakdown of all the different requirements that go into electrically designing a high-rise. Also, if anyone can speak from experience, what are some code sections that I should specifically look out for that you might have missed when first designing a high-rise? Thanks in advance!
Not to be an ass... this is an honest question... are you an architect looking to save on paying a consulting engineer? I get it because many residential jobs can be laid out by a knowledgeable architect, but I feel that for a high rise you would need to hire an MEP consultant.
I'd offer services, but we are in NY and the travel cost would be a bit high hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.