A to C 0
A to B 240
B TO C 240
lost high leg?

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I would say lost high leg. If there was a high leg it should measure higher than 120 to ground, My bets guess would be high leg lost and feed back from A phase is giviong you the 120v reading on C.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
Had the very same call from one of my techs last week, the machine he was working on made appear he had 120 to ground on the high leg. Turns out, the panel that one of our new construction guys put the breaker in, was missing the middle bussbar half way down. Don’t know why he didn’t catch that when putting in the breaker.

ejbred45

Occupation
Electrician
readings
A to ground 120
B to " "
c to ground " (high leg)
A to C 0
A to B 240
B TO C 240
lost high leg?
That was my assessment A and C together but what i find puzzling is this is a apartment building the only 3phase is fire pump moters and elevator
elevator still working with the same readings

ejbred45

Occupation
Electrician
That was my assessment A and C together but what i find puzzling is this is a apartment building the only 3phase is fire pump moters and elevator
elevator still working with the same readings
any way waiting on power company

synchro

Occupation
EE
readings
A to ground 120
B to " "
c to ground " (high leg)
A to C 0
A to B 240
B TO C 240
lost high leg?
There might be an open delta to create the high leg, but in this case there's zero volts across the primary of the transformer supplying the high leg. This could be caused by a ground fault on the primary or the feeder to it, or by some other problem on the utility side. With zero volts across the primary there will be zero volts across the secondary, and so A will look like it's shorted to C.

oldsparky52

There might be an open delta to create the high leg, but in this case there's zero volts across the primary of the transformer supplying the high leg. This could be caused by a ground fault on the primary or the feeder to it, or by some other problem on the utility side. With zero volts across the primary there will be zero volts across the secondary, and so A will look like it's shorted to C.
A and C would be coming from the same transformer, right? The 2nd transformer would supply the high leg. If the second transformer lost the primary, wouldn't A and C still be working properly? I must not be understanding what you are saying.

synchro

Occupation
EE
readings
A to ground 120
B to " "
c to ground " (high leg)
A to C 0
A to B 240
B TO C 240
lost high leg?

A and C would be coming from the same transformer, right? The 2nd transformer would supply the high leg. If the second transformer lost the primary, wouldn't A and C still be working properly? I must not be understanding what you are saying.

The OP is calling C the high leg in the post above, and so the first transformer of an open delta would be A-N-B and the second transformer would be A-C. Therefore if the second transformer primary voltage is zero then there'd also be zero voltage from A to C.

Status
Not open for further replies.