Help With Genset....ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I'm trying to help someone via phone/text with a 480V genset. He says it is showing 480V but nothing is going out.
I'm including a picture of the switches & meters. I think I know what the switches mean but could use some help.
On the left switch the "L-L" I'm sure is line-line and the "L-N" is line-neutral. I'm not sure what the L1L2, L2L3, & L3L1 is unless that changes rotation. Also guessing the "0" is off?
On the LN side I think it's just L1-N, L2-N, L3-N for 277V.

The other switch I'm not sure what that does. It just says L1, L2, & L3.
If someone could explain the switches and maybe why there is no output I would appreciate it.
If I can get help in time I can call him back and let him know.
Thanks!

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Switches just control what each meter measures and does not affect output.
Volts are probably before any OCPD.

So the left switch just selects the voltage read-out to the meter above it?
The right switch just selects/measures amps for each leg and shown on amp meter above it?

That makes sense, Thanks!

I ask him to look for either breaker(s) not on or fuse(s) that were blown. He couldn't find anything. This is a rental genset and the rental place is closed for the night.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I agree with digger, two meters and two selector switches one for each meter. Given the current position of the switches there could be no output on L2 and you wouldn't know (although the ammeter does appear to be slightly above 0 amps).

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I appreciate the help from you guys.
Everything is good now, someone unplugged their distribution box after it was plugged in to start with!:slaphead: He said he didn't bother to check since he knew it was plugged in. Someone else just happened to see the box not connected.:huh:

So MODS, you may close this thread!

Status
Not open for further replies.