Hello, I am currently taking a NEC class and I just wanted to find out what code violation this falls under.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jel

New User
Occupation
Apprentice
Ct's were placed on the ground under a building (container) with vegetation overgrowth. I know it was installed for metering purposes but the condition they are in is :oops:.
There is moisture around them, I guess from the warm air outside and the AC from inside the building.
Any corrective measures that can be done?

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
CTs and meters are not required by the NEC, they are the cash register for the POCO, so POCO sets the requirements, and we install per those and the NEC.
Get the POCO requirements and go from there. There may be some code violations, without picture we cannot tell.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Ct's were placed on the ground under a building (container) with vegetation overgrowth. I know it was installed for metering purposes but the condition they are in is :oops:.
There is moisture around them, I guess from the warm air outside and the AC from inside the building.
Any corrective measures that can be done?
When you say they were placed on the ground do you mean there's no box or anything that's around them they're just sitting on the ground in the open?

As other posters mentioned these CTs may be under the jurisdiction of the utility and thus not under the jurisdiction of the NEC.

I don't see this as being any worse than them being in a manhole.

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I’m sort of lost as to “on the ground under a building”
Not sure what that means. Are they in an enclosure?
We have older installs where the CTs are on the ground(dirt) INSIDE a transformer or vault.
The wire goes through the CT, so if they are laying on the ground outside an enclosure that means there is a CCC laying on the ground exposed.

Status
Not open for further replies.