Height of E-stop & Disconnect per NEC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howdy. I'm new here and have a question that is probably gonna be easy for some of you. I am designing a machine with control panels on it. The customer wants our standard machine (which we build on a skid) put on a concrete riser. So the issue of how high up my E-Stop button & the main power disconnect switch is at has come up.

I seem to remember 6' from somewhere, and it seems logical, but I can't find it in the book.

So - What (and where is it in the book, if possible) is the rule on height for an e-stop button? And the same question for the disconnect switch?

Thanks in advance.

bphgravity

Re: Height of E-stop & Disconnect per NEC?

This appears to be more of a design issue than an actual code requirement. The code requires switches in a readily accesible place, and the location of the switch shall not exceed 6'7" above the floor or working platform per Section 404.8(A).

Other than that, I think common sense and good judgment should be the determining factor. :)

websparky

Re: Height of E-stop & Disconnect per NEC?

Actually, there is code for such design issues.

2002 NFPA 79
10.1.2 Location and Mounting.
10.1.2.1 Control Devices. As far as is practicable, control devices shall be as follows:
(1) Readily accessible for service and maintenance
(2) Mounted in such a manner as to minimize the possibility of damage from activities such as material handling
10.1.2.2 Hand-Operated Control Devices. The actuators of hand-operated control devices shall be selected and installed as follows:
(1) They are not less than 0.6 m (2 ft) above the servicing level and are within easy reach of the normal working position of the operator.
(2) The operator is not placed in a hazardous situation when operating them.
(3) The possibility of inadvertent operation is minimized.
10.1.3* Protection. Operator interface, control devices, and enclosures shall be suitable for the environment and shall withstand the stresses of expected use.
10.2.2.3 Emergency Stop. RED shall be used for emergency stop actuators in accordance with 10.7.4.
10.1.6 Operator Interface Devices.
10.1.6.1 Location of Operator Interface Devices.
10.1.6.1.1 Operator interface devices shall be mounted in locations that will minimize exposure to oil, coolant, and other contaminants.
10.1.6.1.2 Operator interface devices shall be within normal reach of the machine operator and shall be placed so that the operator is not exposed to hazards.
10.1.6.1.3 Operator interface devices shall be located so that unintentional operation by normal movement of the machine, operator, or work will be unlikely.

Status
Not open for further replies.